Topside Engineer Sr
Vectrus is rapidly expanding as an industry leader, providing professional services support to both the government and the private sector. Our core competencies include engineering, logistics, IT and mission critical support services. We provide solutions to a broad range of customers including the DoD, DHS, IRS, FAA and the Intelligence Community. We are seeking experienced Topside Design Engineers to join our team at our Dahlgren Virginia office in support of the Shipboard Electromagnetic Compatibility Improvement Program (SEMCIP).
MAJOR JOB ACTIVITIES:
Conduct Platform Integrated Topside Design (ITD) problem investigation, characterization, quantification, and engineering of fixes to satisfy requirements.
Determine primary, secondary, and tertiary system platform locations for ITD analyses.
Conduct electromagnetic ray tracing simulations of radio-frequency propagation involving shipboard antennas.
Conduct platform surveys, including use of 3D Scanner survey equipment, to validate CAD model accuracy reviews.
Conduct platform Pre & Post Installation Performance Surveys.
Conduct E3 problem discovery, recognition, investigation, characterization, quantification, and engineering of mitigation measures.
Identify, develop, and recommend engineering fixes to mitigate unacceptable E3 risks.
Provide updates and changes to E3/ITD technical documentation and periodic reporting of all work performed.
Other duties that may be assigned to meet company and departmental goals and objectives.
MATERIAL & EQUIPMENT DIRECTLY USED:
• RF testing equipment, such as Spectrum Analyzers, Network Analyzers, Signal Generators, Antennas, and Time Domain Reflectometers (TDR).
Able to thrive in an office environment approximately 50 % of the time, administering reports of all field work performed on both the ship and in Naval Industrial Environments.
Fully capable of “riding the ship” 7-10 days underway in support of Phase III radiate events and testing. (for both instrumented and visual testing)
Fully capable of operating all standard office equipment such as a laptop computer, copier/scanner, printer and able to work together with technical assistance support in order to maintain all issued equipment.
Able to support domestic and international travel as requested approximately 50% of the time.
Able to provide accurate billing for proper compensation of overtime performed and alternate shifts worked.
Able to thrive in an office setting supporting data request approximately 50% of the time or more.
Able to comfortably work aloft, at various heights in accordance with all OSHA safety requirements and shipboard references.
Be physical fit, able to lift and carry 50lbs up and down ladders.
Capable of working in a Naval Industrial environment
All candidates must hold an active DoD Security Clearance.
• Bachelor's level degree or higher in an Engineering discipline.
OSHA 10 required or willing to obtain.
• Possess a minimum of twelve years' general experience in one or more of the following, Mechanical Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Computer Science, Physics, Mathematics or Naval Architecture.
• Possess a minimum of seven years' experience in Research, Development, Test, Engineering, or Integration related to shipboard systems.
Demonstrated experience in one or more of the following specific topside areas:
• System performance requirements
• Ship operations (Safety, HM&E, Structural, Vulnerability, Physical clearances, Navigation, Navigation lights, Exhaust and Intakes, RADHAZ, Environmental, Shock and Vibration, Combat systems, System coverage)
• Deck operations (Replenishment at sea, Line handling, Ordnance, Small boat operations, Man overboard, Damage Control) Aviation
• EMI/EMC Skills:
• Able to read and comprehend ship drawings, RF schematics and DoD Technical Manuals.
• Competence in RF test equipment setup and support.
• Ability to generate simple drawings in PowerPoint or Visio, CAD skills is a plus.