Materials Engineer – Metal Additive Manufacturing
Lead experimental programs involving additive manufacturing, microstructural characterization, mechanical property testing to study the process-structure-property-performance relationships of structural alloys in nuclear reactor environments.
- Conduct experimental research with additive manufacturing such as laser powder bed fusion and directed energy deposition of metallic materials
- Perform microstructural characterization with optical microscopy, scanning electron microscopy, transmission electron microscopy and synchrotron X-ray techniques.
- Conduct mechanical property testing and data analysis
- Collaborate with others to develop new research directions and opportunities in additive manufacturing for energy applications
- Present and report research results and publishing scientific results in peer-reviewed journals in a timely manner
- Background in physical metallurgy and nuclear materials science of structural alloys
- Knowledge and experience in additive manufacturing technologies such as laser powder bed fusion and directed energy deposition; Knowledge and experience in operations and maintenance of laser powder bed fusion system and directed energy deposition system is a plus
- Experience in microstructural characterization at various length scales with a broad range of characterization techniques
- Experience in mechanical property testing to understand the structure-property relationships
- Understanding of environmental effects including irradiation, corrosion and high temperature in nuclear reactor materials.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- A strong record of publications that demonstrates productive research.
- Ability to work independently and in a team environment.
- Ability to model Argonne’s Core Values: Impact, Safety, Respect, Integrity, and Teamwork.
- This level of knowledge is typically achieved through a formal education in nuclear engineering, materials science and engineering, mechanical engineering, or related disciplines at the Ph.D. level.
- RD2 Level: Bachelor’s and 5+ years; Master’s and 3+ years; Doctorate and 0+ years, or equivalent.
Job FamilyResearch Development (RD)
Job ProfileMaterials/Ceramics/Metallurgical 2
Time TypeFull time
As an equal employment opportunity and affirmative action employer, and in accordance with our core values of impact, safety, respect, integrity and teamwork, Argonne National Laboratory is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace that fosters collaborative scientific discovery and innovation. In support of this commitment, Argonne encourages minorities, women, veterans and individuals with disabilities to apply for employment. Argonne considers all qualified applicants for employment without regard to age, ancestry, citizenship status, color, disability, gender, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, marital status, national origin, pregnancy, race, religion, sexual orientation, veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law.
Argonne employees, and certain guest researchers and contractors, are subject to particular restrictions related to participation in Foreign Government Sponsored or Affiliated Activities, as defined and detailed in United States Department of Energy Order 486.1A. You will be asked to disclose any such participation in the application phase for review by Argonne's Legal Department.
All Argonne offers of employment are contingent upon a background check that includes an assessment of criminal conviction history conducted on an individualized and case-by-case basis. Please be advised that Argonne positions require upon hire (or may require in the future) for the individual be to obtain a government access authorization that involves additional background check requirements. Failure to obtain or maintain such government access authorization could result in the withdrawal of a job offer or future termination of employment.
Please note that all Argonne employees are required to be vaccinated against COVID-19. All successful applicants will be required to provide their COVID-19 vaccination verification as a condition of employment, subject to limited legally recognized exemptions to COVID-19 vaccination.