The Environment, Safety, Health, and Quality organization at Argonne National Laboratory is searching for a talented Safety Generalist to join its team. The Safety Generalist functions as a member of the laboratory safety team specifically as a member of the safety team supporting the APS Upgrade project within the Photon Sciences Directorate.
In this role you can expect to:
- Work in partnership with line management, researchers, workers, and other ESH professionals providing hands-on technical assistance and consultative support to deliver best-in-class solutions consistent with Argonne’s integrated safety management processes.
- Participate in hazard and risk mitigation analyses, share best practices, and serve as a local ESH resource.
- Assist with and supports the design, development, implementation, and maintenance of programs, systems, procedures, and training necessary to ensure the overall safety and health of employees.
- Assignments may include monitoring and implementing safety systems and programs to control chemical, physical, environmental, industrial, and biological hazards; incident investigations; safety assessments and reviews; and facility inspections.
- Assist with and supports the development and approval of safety and work planning and control documentation; and advises on laboratory safety policies and procedures.
- Serve in and contributes to additional functional safety roles and activities.
- Ability to assist with the implementation of corporate environment, safety, and health policies and procedures in research and operations environments.
- Fundamental knowledge of OSHA 1910 General Industry, OSHA 1926 Construction, and an ability to learn and understand DOE, Laboratory and Division ESH/QA policies, requirements, practices and procedures.
- Knowledge of formal assessments, reviews, and investigations.
- Ability to effectively communicate problems and solutions to workers and management, orally and in writing, to make good judgments and decisions in all situations, and maintain effective interpersonal relationships.
- Ability to work within and effectively communicate as part of a deployed ESH team.
- Ability to provide superior customer service.
- Ability to effectively communicate the APS upgrade project’s thoughts, preferences, and concerns to the Environment, Safety, Health, and Quality Directorate.
- Desire to assist with the development of innovative approaches for implementing safety programs and controls that meet safety regulations and requirements in a research & development environment.
- Effective interactions with internal and external safety professionals.
- A B.S. degree in Occupational Safety, Industrial Hygiene or a scientific/engineering discipline is preferred.
- Certification as a Graduate Safety Practitioner (GSP) or progress toward obtaining an Associate Safety Professional (ASP) is desirable.
- Experience working with highly technical staff in a research & development environment, as well as unique and highly technically scientific instruments and equipment is also desired.
- Ability to model Argonne's core values of impact, safety, respect, integrity and teamwork.
The selected candidate can be hired at one of two levels. The requirements for each level are as follows:
- PT2 Level: Bachelor’s and 2+ years of experience, or equivalent
- PT3 Level: Bachelor’s and 4+ years of experience, or equivalent
Job FamilyProfessional Technical (PT)
Job ProfileESH Multi-Functional 2
Time TypeFull time
As an equal employment opportunity and affirmative action employer, and in accordance with our core values of impact, safety, respect, integrity and teamwork, Argonne National Laboratory is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace that fosters collaborative scientific discovery and innovation. In support of this commitment, Argonne encourages minorities, women, veterans and individuals with disabilities to apply for employment. Argonne considers all qualified applicants for employment without regard to age, ancestry, citizenship status, color, disability, gender, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, marital status, national origin, pregnancy, race, religion, sexual orientation, veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law.
Argonne employees, and certain guest researchers and contractors, are subject to particular restrictions related to participation in Foreign Government Sponsored or Affiliated Activities, as defined and detailed in United States Department of Energy Order 486.1A. You will be asked to disclose any such participation in the application phase for review by Argonne's Legal Department.
All Argonne offers of employment are contingent upon a background check that includes an assessment of criminal conviction history conducted on an individualized and case-by-case basis. Please be advised that Argonne positions require upon hire (or may require in the future) for the individual be to obtain a government access authorization that involves additional background check requirements. Failure to obtain or maintain such government access authorization could result in the withdrawal of a job offer or future termination of employment.
Please note that all Argonne employees are required to be vaccinated against COVID-19. All successful applicants will be required to provide their COVID-19 vaccination verification as a condition of employment, subject to limited legally recognized exemptions to COVID-19 vaccination.