Composite Materials Engineer
Are you interested in being part of an innovative team that supports Westinghouse’s mission to provide clean energy solutions? At Westinghouse, we recognize that our employees are our most valuable asset and we seek to identify, attract and recruit the most qualified talent while recognizing and encouraging the value of diversity in the global workplace.
If this sounds like an environment you would thrive in, we have an exciting opportunity for a Senior Composite Materials Engineer.
- Perform and lead others in the design, test, and analyses for the development of one or multiple eVinci high temperature reactor components compromised of materials such as graphite and carbon-ceramic-matrix composites.
- Provide guidance and expertise of design concerns and radiation effects when working with graphite and/or carbon composites with the ability to support team members unfamiliar with these materials.
- Create the plan and lead team members in the development of the eVinci Micro-Reactor components from preliminary through final design. This will include assessing and implementing lessons learned and best practices within the group. Communicate with management on the progress of the design.
- Use of analysis tools, such as finite element simulations (ex. Ansys) and hand calculations to qualify component design.
- Drive and/or execute component qualifications through ASME BPV code Section III Division 5 (High Temperature Reactors) methodologies and criteria leveraging design by analysis supported by component testing programs.
- Work with other component, system, and manufacturing leads on the integration of the subsystems and work through emergent design issues.
- Work with testing organization to develop plans for functional and qualification testing as needed.
- Work with project managers and subsystem/component leads to develop and maintain project schedules.
- Lead complex technical projects, coordinating multi-functional teams to accomplish project objectives while meeting established schedule and budget requirements.
- Identify and define technical issues, risks and challenges, direct efforts to successful resolution.
- Bring engineering rigor to resolution of problems that are sometimes loosely, or only partially, defined, requiring knowledge and experience within given discipline.
- Incorporate the use of industry, regulatory, or NRC/DOE/ASME codes, standards, and criteria pertinent to nuclear reactors in design activities.
- Provide technical guidance, direction, and collaborate with other personnel including partners such as national laboratories, sub-contractors, suppliers, fabricators, and customers.
- Fast-paced and challenging research and development programs.
- Adaptable and flexible to changes in strategy, market, design, or manufacturing.
- Strong ownership mentality to hold yourself accountable for delivery of high-quality engineering or physical material products.
Who You Are:
As a successful candidate, you will bring the following to the team:
- BS in Mechanical Engineering or Aerospace Engineering (MS/PhD preferred). Alternative degrees such as nuclear engineering, structural engineering, or materials science, etc. will be considered with component design experience.
- Knowledge and experience with design of components with Graphite and/or Composite materials required
- Knowledge and experience in system and component level design
- Familiarity with advanced reactor technology and designs preferred
Westinghouse Electric Company is the global nuclear energy industry’s first choice for safe, clean, and efficient energy solutions. We enable our delivery of this vision by living our value system:
- Safety and Quality
- Integrity and Trust
- Customer Focus and Innovation
- Speed and Passion to Win
- Teamwork and Accountability
Westinghouse offers competitive benefits to all our employees around the globe to keep them healthy and enhance their well-being. In the U.S. the following are representative of what we offer:
- Competitive Salary
- Comprehensive Health, Wellness and Income Protection Benefits
- 401(k) Savings Plan with Company Match
- Paid Vacations and Holidays
- Opportunities for Flexible Work Arrangements
- Educational Reimbursement Program
- Employee Referral Program
While our Global Headquarters are located in Cranberry Township, PA, we have over 9,000 employees working at locations in 19 different countries. You can learn more by visiting [Register to View] .
EOE of Minorities / Females / Vets / Disability.
Get connected with Westinghouse on social media:
[Register to View] | [Register to View] | [Register to View] | [Register to View]