PSEG Company: PSEG Long Island
Salary Range: $ 42.83 - $ 59.95
Incentive: Not applicable
Work Location Category: Onsite
PSEG operates under a Flexible Work Model where flexible work is offered when job requirements allow. In support of this model, roles have been categorized into one of four work location categories: onsite roles, hybrid roles that are a blend of onsite and remote work, remote local roles that are primarily home-based but require some level of purpose-driven in-person interaction and living within a commutable distance, and remote non-local roles that can be effectively performed remotely with the ability to work in approved states.
PSEG offers a unique experience to our more than 12,000 employees – we provide the resources and opportunities for career development that come with being a Fortune 500 company, as well as the attention, camaraderie and care for one another you might typically associate with a small business. Our focus on combatting climate change through clean energy technology, our new net zero climate vision for 2030 and enhanced commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion; and supporting the communities we serve make this a particularly exciting time to join PSEG.
The Long Island Power Authority (LIPA) and PSEG-Long Island (PSEG-LI) operate a private radio network for two-way voice communications in support of Transmission & Distribution (T&D) field operations and the Distribution Automation data communications network. The dispatching headquarters are located in four regional offices located in Hewlett, Hicksville, Brentwood and Riverhead, New York. Each regional headquarters communicate through base stations in its region to its field crews. The Distribution Automation System provides automatic sectionalizing of distribution feeders. This infrastructure is comprised of 2700 ASU/ACR/MLBS/PMH/ATO/ASUV/CAP BANK switches that provide SCADA (supervisory control and data acquisition) to the regional control rooms.
Job Duties & Responsibilities
- Works independently or with another Technician to perform the highest technical work associated with repair, test, maintenance and installation of complex communication and electronic equipment including two-way radio, microwave, satellite, wireless cell site.
- Performs all necessary tests and adjustments and submits written reports and test data sheets. Investigates and corrects audio, radio, video and microwave interference complaints and follows up with such complaints. Technician is responsible for the installation, repair and maintenance of Company owned communications system, Remote Terminal Units (RTUs) devices, SEL controllers and data control systems.
- Performs all types of work on communications equipment and other electronic equipment involving solid-state integrated circuit and computer technologies.
- Must have a good working knowledge of basic principles of solid-state electronics and apply this knowledge by working with electronic and electrical diagrams and sketches in the installation of communications equipment.
- Having a good working knowledge of high speed (4800/9600/19200 baud and higher) digital data transmission principles, distributed network protocol, internet protocol networking, P25 trunking radio standard, fiber optic principles and servicing techniques on all types of communications channels.
- Must have a valid FCC General Radio Telephone Operator’s license and current knowledge of FCC rules, regulations and practices as pertaining to federally licensed systems used by the Company. Also, recommends the purchase of materials and equipment and the establishment of spare parts’ requirements.
- Operates company motor vehicles and/or equipment necessary to perform job duties. Performs other comparable duties, as well as, coordinates activities with other departments or sections.
- Ability to troubleshoot Console Dispatch equipment and vehicle mobile communication devices. Must be able to use computers to program radio equipment, upgrade the required firmware and capable of database entry is required.
- Technician will maintain the Radio communications infrastructure of the Distribution Automation SCADA System, which includes installing and repairing Pole Top Remote Terminal Units, Antenna alignments, Communications testing, and Interference analysis.
- Must be able to perform the duties outlined above in shop or outside field conditions from a ladder or aerial lift device. Must be able to work in aerial lift device as required to maintain or install communications equipment.
Years of Experience
Desired Skills: (Knowledge and Experience Required)
- Performs arithmetic or algebraic and geometric procedures in standard practical applications.
- Radio Frequency Theory.
- Federal Communications Commission (FCC) and other federal, state and local broadcasting regulations.
- Radio technical operations.
- Basic computer networking and infrastructure.
- Broad understanding of electrical, mechanical, and telephone systems.
- Current and developing trends in radio broadcast equipment and transmission systems.
- Reading and comprehending technical and operational manuals and instructions, safety rules, policies and procedures, and instruction manuals.
- Reading and interpreting blueprints and schematics drawings.
- Interpersonal Skills:
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills and the ability to work effectively with a wide range of vendors, contractors, and colleagues in a diverse community.
Requirement (Knowledge and Experience Required):
- Two year college degree in Electronics Engineering, Electrical Technology, or Engineering is required.
- Minimum three (3) years of experience in radio operations, computer systems, information technology, or telecommunications.
- APPLICANTS MUST POSSESS A VALID FCC GENERAL RADIO TELEPHONE OPERATOR LICENSE prior to commencing employment at PSEG Long Island. However, applicants can submit the job application and obtain the FCC license in parallel to the hiring selection process.
- A valid US driver’s license, successfully completion of a Company driving test.
- A written entrance exam on basic electric principles and exam on physical working skills is also required as part of the requirements for acceptance into this position.
Applicants must submit a copy of their college transcript.
In addition to possessing the qualifications for this vacancy, employees selected will be expected to work overtime in accordance with departmental requirements and to participate in the Company’s Emergency Restoration Program.
Licenses or Certifications
- Valid NYS driver's license
- Valid FCC General Radio Telephone Operator’s License
Training and Courses
Candidates must foster an inclusive work environment and respect all aspects of diversity. Successful candidates must demonstrate and value differences in others' strengths, perspectives, approaches, and personal choices.
As an employee of PSE&G or PSEG LI, you should be aware that during storm restoration efforts, you may be required to perform functions outside of your routine duties and on a schedule that may be different from normal operations.
Certain positions at the Company may require you to have access to 10 CFR Part 810 controlled information. If the position does require access to this information, the Talent Acquisition representative will provide further details upon making an offer.
PSEG is an equal opportunity employer, dedicated to a policy of non-discrimination in employment, including the hiring process, based on any legally protected characteristic. Legally protected characteristics include race, color, religion, national origin, sex, age, marital status, sexual orientation, disability or veteran status or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local law in locations where PSEG employs individuals.
Business needs may cause PSEG to cancel or delay filling position at any time during the selection process.
This site (http://www.pseg.com) is strictly for candidates who are not currently PSEG employees. PSEG employees must apply for jobs internally through emPower which can be accessed through [Register to View] by clicking on the emPower icon, then selecting careers.
PEOPLE WITH DISABILITIES:
PSEG is committed to providing reasonable accommodations to individuals with disabilities. If you have a disability and need assistance applying for a position, please call [Register to View] or email [Register to View] If you need to request a reasonable accommodation to perform the essential functions of the job, email [Register to View]