PSEG Company: PSEG Long Island
Salary Range: $ 41.64 - $ 52.9
Incentive: Not applicable
Work Location Category: Onsite
PSEG operates under a Flexible Work Model where flexible work is offered when job requirements allow. In support of this model, roles have been categorized into one of four work location categories: onsite roles, hybrid roles that are a blend of onsite and remote work, remote local roles that are primarily home-based but require some level of purpose-driven in-person interaction and living within a commutable distance, and remote non-local roles that can be effectively performed remotely with the ability to work in approved states.
PSEG offers a unique experience to our more than 12,000 employees – we provide the resources and opportunities for career development that come with being a Fortune 500 company, as well as the attention, camaraderie and care for one another you might typically associate with a small business. Our focus on combatting climate change through clean energy technology, our new net zero climate vision for 2030 and enhanced commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion; and supporting the communities we serve make this a particularly exciting time to join PSEG.
This position is represented by IBEW Local 1049 Hours: 8am-4pm (40)
Days: Mon-Fri except where required to fill shift vacancies and schedules on a 24/7 rotation (shifts include 4pm- 12am and 12am-8am)
Job Duties & Responsibilities
- General knowledge of load and voltage conditions on distribution circuits in the district. Utilizing the computer terminal and/or manual procedures.
- Receive and record calls from consumers and the general public. Segregating and relaying these complaints to the Emergency Service personnel, or the department involved, and being responsible for the preparation of reports.
- Coordinate the flow of assignments to and the movement of Service personnel for most efficient operation. This includes preparing assignment sheets and also obtaining details as to the nature and cause of trouble for the interruption report analysis both manually and/or utilizing the Outage Management System via the computer terminal.
- Utilizing various computer programs, both main frame and PC based to collect and analyze customer information as it pertains to the electric distribution system.
- Performing or ordering switching operations on capacitor banks and for a sequence of switching operations on distribution circuits necessary to restore service or transfer load from one circuit to another circuit or from one substation to another substation.
- Operate radio-controlled switches. Order the tagging of switches and issue clearances to Line or Service Section personnel. Obtaining load and voltage readings in connection with job procedures, also relaying this information to personnel concerned when load and voltage conditions may damage equipment.
- May authorize the opening and closing of circuit breakers and sectionalizing devices in connection with service restoration following an interruption.
- Ability to exercise tact and diplomacy when talking to customers and the general public.
- Ability to Read and interpret overhead and underground prints, wiring, diagrams, and circuit maps both manually and electronically by utilizing the Outage Management System or the EGIS mapping system via the computer terminal. Relaying this information to Service personnel as needed or requested.
- General knowledge of the maps and records associated with this work. Receiving and dispatching messages as Third Class Radio Operator.
- Screen and analyze consumer trouble calls and keep Call Center Representatives informed as to the status of service restoration in different areas.
- Perform similar or less skilled work as may be assigned.
Required Skills (Knowledge and Experience required):
- High School diploma
- 0-1 years of experience in similar work (recent college graduates and Veterans are encouraged to apply).
- As part of the interview, applicants will be required to take and pass electrical and mathematical examinations in which knowledge of the above subject duties are required. Successful candidates that pass the aforementioned exams will then be required to take a psychological exam.
- Employees selected for this position will be required to participate in federally mandated drug and alcohol testing programs. Drug testing will be conducted at the offer stage of employment. Alcohol testing will be performed after an accident and for reasonable cause.
- Successful applicants will be required to join and maintain membership in the local union 1049 of the IBEW. Flexibility to work multiple shifts in various locations; ability to work overtime in accordance with departmental requirements.
- Engineering degree and or credits towards a technical or engineering degree.
Licenses or Certifications
Candidates must foster an inclusive work environment and respect all aspects of diversity. Successful candidates must demonstrate and value differences in others' strengths, perspectives, approaches, and personal choices.
As an employee of PSE&G or PSEG LI, you should be aware that during storm restoration efforts, you may be required to perform functions outside of your routine duties and on a schedule that may be different from normal operations.
Certain positions at the Company may require you to have access to 10 CFR Part 810 controlled information. If the position does require access to this information, the Talent Acquisition representative will provide further details upon making an offer.
PSEG is an equal opportunity employer, dedicated to a policy of non-discrimination in employment, including the hiring process, based on any legally protected characteristic. Legally protected characteristics include race, color, religion, national origin, sex, age, marital status, sexual orientation, disability or veteran status or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local law in locations where PSEG employs individuals.
Business needs may cause PSEG to cancel or delay filling position at any time during the selection process.
This site (http://www.pseg.com) is strictly for candidates who are not currently PSEG employees. PSEG employees must apply for jobs internally through emPower which can be accessed through [Register to View]
by clicking on the emPower icon, then selecting careers.
PEOPLE WITH DISABILITIES:
PSEG is committed to providing reasonable accommodations to individuals with disabilities. If you have a disability and need assistance applying for a position, please call [Register to View]
or email [Register to View]
If you need to request a reasonable accommodation to perform the essential functions of the job, email [Register to View]
[Register to View]