Prosthetic Technician I – Orthopedics & Rehabilitation
Join the HJF Team!
HJF is seeking a Prosthetic Fabrication Technician to support the Military Performance Laboratory (MPL) Department of Rehabilitation Medicine located at the Center for the Intrepid (CFI)/Brooke Army Medical Center (BAMC) in Fort Sam Houston, Texas. HJF provides scientific, technical and programmatic support services to BAMC.
The aim of the CFI is to provide state-of-the-art care for wounded service members as they return to the highest levels of physical, psychological and emotional function. The MPL provides injured military members with the best technology available to precisely analyze and interpret movement dysfunctions. Personnel from the MPL provide clinical gait analysis services, conduct research to improve patient management, and provide education and training in leading-edge care and rehabilitation. This is a full-time position in direct support of research protocols involving assessment and training of individuals who have experienced limb trauma. The incumbent will assist with all research and development activities related to advanced exoskeletons. Will assist with data collection, processing and management with the CFI MPL. Additionally, will assist the clinician with all activities of fabrication, servicing, fitting, and repair related to providing prosthetic/orthotic treatments.
NOTE: All HJF employees are required to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19. Proof of vaccination or an approved religious or medical accommodation will be required.
- Prepares molds for modification by certified prosthetist. (15%)
- Fabricates prototypes using traditional and non-traditional techniques (e.g., thermoformed plastics, carbon fiber laminations, metal bending). (15%)
- Follows detailed, multi-step instructions for assembly of complicated component systems. (15%)
- Tests all components prior to fitting. (15%)
- Fabricates definitive prosthetic devices for all upper and lower limb applications. (15%)
- Maintains and repairs prosthetic and orthotic devices. (15%)
- Performs other duties as assigned to include, but not limited to, data collection and processing, and maintaining regulatory documentation. (10%)
- May perform other duties and responsibilities as assigned or directed by the supervisor. This may include attendance of and participation in required training for role.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Experience with Prosthetic-Orthotic fabrication.
- Working knowledge of biomechanics and familiarity with the function of externally powered upper limb prosthetics is necessary.
- Interpersonal skills to work effectively with limited supervision and other technical team members.
- An ability to learn new externally powered limb systems quickly, troubleshoot fabrication related issues, and provide a high attention to detail.
- Works comfortably with currently available externally powered limb systems and independently fabricates definitive prosthetic systems to clinician specifications.
Minimum Education: Bachelor’s degree required.
Minimum Experience/ Training Requirements: Minimum 0-2 years of experience required.
Work Environment: This job takes place in a medical environment.
Work Arrangement: This position is 100% on site and has no teleworking capability.
Background/Security: Eligibility to obtain and maintain a Tier I investigation/Public Trust and a Common Access Card (CAC).
Employment with HJF is contingent upon successful completion of a background check, which may include, but is not limited to, contacting your professional references, verification of previous employment, addresses, education, and credentials, a criminal background check, drug screening, and a department of motor vehicle (DMV) check.
Any qualifications to be considered as equivalents, in lieu of stated minimums, require the prior approval of the Chief Human Resources Officer.