Prep Lab Assistant
Prep Lab Assistant | Marlborough, MA
Tuesday to Saturday 12:00PM - 8:00PM
Position provides a wide variety of support for assigned lab department.
- Picks up samples from accessioning and sorts samples into appropriate racks.
- Answers phone and directs calls appropriately
- Unpacks and stores reagents and supplies
- Inventories and orders warehouse supply items
- Sorts samples and distributes them to the appropriate setup hood. Manages specimen library within established time frames.
- Decontaminates work areas as designated.
- Performs waived tests under supervision
- Seeks specimens as needed
- Maintains work area in clean and organized condition.
- Follows all PPE requirements.
- Maintains designated laboratory equipment.
- Performs QA/QC duties as assigned (eyewash checks, temperature readings etc...)
- Loads urines onto Atlas for urinalysis.
- Resolves unverified pending list for occult bloods and urinalysis.
- Inoculates appropriate microbiology media based on site given.
- Prepares samples for processing i.e. tissue grinders, centrifuging.
- Credits unacceptable / duplicate test requests, knows what sites and specimens are acceptable for testing.
- Places anaerobic culture plates in appropriate bags.
- Loads blood bottles into Bactec machine.
- Prints and separates worksheets.
- Puts culture plates in incubators.
- Prepares concentrates and trichrome slides for ova and parasites.
- Prepares samples for DNA probes.
- Prepares malaria smears.
- Prepares tubes for Giardia antigens and cryptosporidium EIA.
- Performs and finalizes occult blood results.
- Uses various laboratory computer systems for labeling, inquiry, crediting, and resulting as needed. 28. Disposes of biohazardous and chemical waste.
- Completes PAL forms appropriately.
- Provides input regarding procedures, training manual, and checklists.
- Assists with department quality and process improvement projects.
- Sets up media and supplies for assigned work area.
- Completes training checklists and competency testing appropriately.
- Discards specimens weekly.
- All other duties as assigned.
Required Work Experience:
Preferred Work Experience:
Physical and Mental Requirements:
Ability to stand for long periods of time
- Accurate worker, detail-oriented
- Flexible with respect to department scheduling needs.
- Flexible to work in other departments as needed.
High School Diploma or Equivalent(Required)