Grossing Technician II
Grossing Technician II
AmeriPath - Twinsburg,OH
Monday-Friday 6:00am - 2:30pm
This position is a grossing position for an individual with limited experience grossing surgical specimens. The individual will perform surgical gross examinations of small, uncomplicated specimens, as well as some more complicated specimens when approved by technical supervisor. The level of supervision for each specimen type will be determined by the technical supervisor and/or laboratory director.
- Perform routine and non-routine activities involved in the preparation
- of surgical specimens for Histologic processing, according to policies and procedures.
- Assure appropriate specimen accessioning and labeling.
- Maintain the integrity of the specimen and patient identification.
- Describe gross anatomic features of routine, uncomplicated surgical specimens, ensuring that all lesions, markings and sutures are mentioned.
- Capable of grossing moderate to high complex/complicated specimens under direct and indirect supervision, as applicable to training and experience.
- Demonstrated ability to handle broader range of specimens with indirect supervision (i.e., gall bladders, oriented skin lesions, etc.).
- May oversee the performance of Grossing Technician I.
- Escalates non-routine, complicated surgical specimens to Pathologist Assistants.
- Record measurements, weight, volume, and any abnormal findings as applicable.
- Dissect surgical specimens and prepare tissues for histologic processing.
- May be trained to perform basic Histology functions (i.e., embedding, microtomy, routine and special stains and frozen sectioning) if personnel meet all requirements as outlined in corporate Minimum Qualifications for Histotechnician SOP.
- Perform specimen preparation on non-gynecological specimens, including cytopreparation, staining, coverslipping, etc. after completing training on non-gynecological specimen types. This includes specimen preparation of Fine Needle Aspiration (FNA) specimens
- Complete all associated paperwork (i.e., workload recording, PM/temperature charts, etc.)
- Follow the laboratory’s applicable procedures for job-related responsibilities.
- Interact directly with pathologists regarding gross dissection/description activities, including defined specimen types that require direct supervision by a pathologist.
- Identify problems that may adversely affect test performance or reporting of test results and either correct the problems or immediately notify the histology supervisor/manager, technical supervisor, or director.
- Ensure all corporate safety, quality control and quality assurance standards are met.
- Ensure compliance with all local, federal, CLIA and CAP regulations.
- Comply with all required Quest Diagnostics corporate continuing education requirements.
- Maintain a clean and well-organized work area.
- Other duties, as assigned by supervisor.
Required Work Experience:
Meets all requirements as outlined in corporate Minimum Qualifications for Personnel Performing Tissue Gross Examinations SOP and 1988 CLIA CFR 493.1489
Preferred Work Experience:
2+ years of histology and/or grossing experience
Physical and Mental Requirements:
- The normal performance of duties may require lifting and carrying objects: Objects 1 to 10 pounds are lifted and carried frequently; objects 11 to 25 pounds are lifted and carried occasionally; objects 36 to 50 pounds are seldom lifted or carried and objects over 50 pounds are not to be lifted or carried without assistance.
- Ability to stand and work at the bench for long periods of time.
- Frequent walking and/or standing.
- May be required to use a wide variety of manual tools and laboratory instruments and apparatuses all of which demand significant manual dexterity
Associates Degree (Required)
Bachelor’s Degree (Preferred)