Project Director (RN), Healthcare Standards Development - Hybrid Work Opportunity
Plans and executes complex projects of significant scope. Coordinates activities of project team members to achieve projects goals and timelines. Applies specialized knowledge and skills in a professional or technical discipline. Earns trust and respect from stakeholders and manages expectations through ongoing changes.
The Project Director, Healthcare Standards Development in the Department of Standards and Survey Methods plans and executes projects related to the development of nationally applied accreditation and certification standards and survey methods. Note: This role has project management responsibility and no direct reports. People and other resources are managed indirectly as part of cross-functional team delegation required to complete the project.
- Independently manages project teams and ensures that project milestones are met. Ensures the quality and integrity of project deliverables. (75%)
- Defines project goals and activities and develops work plans for departmental initiatives.
- Defines project parameters and specifications and organizes related staff resources.
- Formulates creative and innovative approaches to accomplishing project objectives.
- Manages daily operations related to projects which are often very large and complex.
- Monitors current projects to ensure that they are conducted in a highly professional manner.
- Acts independently and pro-actively to manage and resolve project-related problems as they arise.
- Provides professional/technical guidance and consultation in areas of expertise. (10%)
- Represents the department in a broad variety of internal cross-divisional activities.
- Represents the Joint Commission at speaking engagements and as a liaison to various professional organizations.
- Maintains and expands knowledge base using available resources.
- Engages with experts in defined clinically or technically focused topic areas. (5%)
- Reviews, analyzes, and synthesizes literature related to issues of quality and safety in the delivery of patient care.
- Convenes advisory groups.
- Initiates, coordinates, and participates in the dissemination of project information. (5%)
- Prepares and presents project presentations to senior management, advisory bodies, and other constituents.
- Serves as faculty for surveyor/reviewer and other education programs.
- Prepares content for internal and external communication vehicles (newsletters, journals, blogs, etc.).
- Performs the following additional responsibilities: (5%)
- Clinical personnel:Conducts accreditation surveys or certification reviews annually within a timeframe determined by leadership.
- Master’s degree required.
- Seven to eight years of progressively increasing responsibility in project management.
- Clinical expertise (Registered Nurse) in an acute care hospital setting across several clinical services (obstetric, pediatric experience preferred) and previous experience in health care administration or delivery.
- Ability to lead multiple complex projects involving a wide range of individuals, groups, and/or committees.
- Strong analytic abilities. Experience leading the design of data collection and reporting systems and in interpreting and communicating results.
- Effective interpersonal skills to interact with individuals at various levels both inside and outside of the organization, often in sensitive situations requiring political awareness. Ability to communicate with parties within and outside of own area to ensure that tasks and activities are understood and implemented. Ability to shift mindset and communication style to adapt to the project role (i.e., lead versus team member).
- Displays a strong commitment to superior quality. Takes responsibility for written deliverables to ensure high quality final products. Alters writing style to appeal to various audiences as needed. Willingness to seek and respond positively to editorial input and ability to deliver constructive feedback to others.
- Ability to provide guidance, coaching, and training newer colleagues. Responsible for managing major/complex projects at this level, involving delegation of work and review of work products. Expected to consult with managers to identify project resource requirements and identify professional skill sets gaps that should be addressed to meet current and future project needs.
This job description is intended to describe the general nature and level of work performed by an employee assigned to this position. The description is not an exhaustive list of all duties, responsibilities, knowledge, skills, and abilities, and working conditions associated with this position. All requirements are subject to possible modification and reasonably accommodate individuals with disabilities.