Packaging Engineering Intern
Packaging Engineering Intern
HUNT VALLEY, MD
We’re Coty, a global leader in beauty. We’re World #1 in Fragrance, World #2 in Professional Hair Care and World #3 in Color Cosmetics. Our iconic portfolio of more than 77 brands are sold in over 150 countries around the world. We believe in beauty with a purpose and brands that inspire, no matter where they are in the world.
Kick off a challenging and rewarding packaging career with Coty! Our Packaging Internship provides the opportunity to assist the R&D Packaging Team in the definition of packages which meet COTYs required criteria in terms of Functionality, Manufacturability, Aesthetics, Safety, Innovation and Creativity, and Recyclability and Sustainability. The primary responsibility of the Packaging Engineering Intern is to execute and validate the design of components and finished goods through first production. You will be exposed to new initiatives, continuous improvement, standardization, simplification, and cost savings projects. You will accomplish key packaging milestones for new products, renovations and repacks. Additionally, you will execute various technical tasks related to project work and provide a fresh set of eyes to our organization and packaging labs. You will have the opportunity to use your studies in a packaging environment giving you experience in your field on a practical level.
In this role you will be responsible for (depending on the project):
- Completely define revised, stock, and custom package design requirements and execute qualification plans according to these requirements and corporate global and local Policy, Process, Standard Work including Technical Readiness and CQV Parameters.
- Develop and document testing plans, drawings, qualification tests, and final specifications including limits and ranges for components and finished packages.
- Collaborate with internal departments to determine timing and feasibility of new and/or existing package designs related to cost, functionality, compatibility, and qualification.
- Research alternative designs to reduce costs and increase efficiency.
- Travel to component vendors and outside contractors, COTY global offices, and other sites as required.
- Research new ideas and innovation from strategic suppliers for COTY’s exclusive use.
- Manage the accuracy and modification of Bills of Material, Weights and Dimensions for all products produced in Sanford.
- Resolve component and specification issues for existing packages.
- Prepare to share regular updates to departmental leadership to track individual learning experiences and project updates.
- Present to the senior site leadership team and prepare a closing presentation to be shared with peers, management, and senior leaders within the organization.
WHAT YOU’LL BRING
We’d love to see candidates who have:
- In pursuit of a bachelor’s degree in Packaging Engineering or equivalent engineering discipline.
- 0-5 years of Package Development or equivalent experience within consumer goods industry
- Understanding of materials and tooling which produce rigid and flexible packaging such as glass, injection molding, tubes, folding cartons, etc. and decoration techniques
- Understanding of interactions between multiple components and packaging assembly methods, including tolerance simulations
- Lean Tools such as process mapping and standard work and root cause problem solving.
Functional / Technical Skills:
- Testing methodology, laboratory procedures, and application of measurement standards including use of laboratory equipment
- Project Management
- Knowledge of palletization Software such as CAPE Pack and Logistical Specifications
- Ability to work and make decisions autonomously as well as within focused teams
- Ability to read and interpret blueprints and artwork
- Communicate and present on technical elements to both technical and non-technical audiences
- Ability to negotiate with vendors, marketing, and creative teams to secure approvals of package designs
- Ability to execute and provide risk transparency within accelerated launch timings
- Ability to manage multiple projects consecutively
- Define with direct manager development opportunities and execute individual training plan
- Ability to support a 24/7 manufacturing operation
- Previous Co-Op Experience in manufacturing environment within consumer goods and/or pharmaceutical industry
- B.S. Degree in a Package Engineering Discipline with 0-2 years remaining till graduation or equivalent engineering discipline.
WHAT WE OFFER
This is unique role with a genuine opportunity to make an impact. You’ll get to work in a diverse environment with a team of professionals who are passionate about the work they do and know how to have some fun along the way.
Our people make us who we are. They are the brightest minds bringing the boldest ideas to life every day. If you’re the kind of person who refuses to settle, if you want to think bigger, learn faster and go further than you ever thought possible – we’d love to hear from you.
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITIES
We offer equal employment opportunity to qualified individuals without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, age, gender, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, marital status, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. Coty complies with federal and state disability laws and makes reasonable accommodations for applicants and employees with disabilities. If reasonable accommodation is needed to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and/or to receive other benefits and privileges of employment, please contact [Register to View] [Register to View] We strongly believe that cultivating a diverse workplace gives a company strength. The combination of unique skills, abilities, experiences and backgrounds creates an environment that produces extraordinary results. EOE Minorities/Females/Protected Veterans/Disabled.
English - Please click on this [Register to View] style="color:#0563c1;text-decoration:underline" target="_blank">link to review the Notification of Equal Opportunity Rights poster
Español - Por favor, haga un [Register to View] style="color:#0563c1;text-decoration:underline" target="_blank">clic en el enlace para revisar el poster de la Ley de los Derechos de Igualdad de Empeo