Sr. R&D Electrical Engineer
Abbott is a global healthcare leader that helps people live more fully at all stages of life. Our portfolio of life-changing technologies spans the spectrum of healthcare, with leading businesses and products in diagnostics, medical devices, nutritionals and branded generic medicines. Our 113,000 colleagues serve people in more than 160 countries.
This position is with Abbott Molecular Diagnostic (AMD) division, located in Des Plaines, IL. Abbott Molecular is a leader in molecular diagnostics and the analysis of DNA, RNA, and proteins at the molecular level.
WORKING AT ABBOTT
At Abbott, you can do work that matters, grow, and learn, care for yourself and family, be your true self and live a full life. You’ll also have access to:
- Career development with an international company where you can grow the career you dream of .
- Free medical coverage for employees* via the Health Investment Plan (HIP) PPO
- An excellent retirement savings plan with high employer contribution
- Tuition reimbursement, the [Register to View] student debt program and [Register to View] education benefit - an affordable and convenient path to getting a bachelor’s degree.
- A company recognized as a great place to work in dozens of countries around the world and named one of the most admired companies in the world by Fortune.
- A company that is recognized as one of the best big companies to work for as well as a best place to work for diversity, working mothers, female executives, and scientists.
Our location in Des Plaines, IL , currently has an opportunity for a Sr Engineer - Electrical
WHAT YOU’LL DO
Provide technical leadership in the area of electrical engineering, with a particular focus on electromechanical devices and controls systems in the highly automated diagnostic platforms.
- Applies understanding of electromechanical systems across the product development lifecycle including design principles, electrical components, machine elements, control theory, firmware/embedded systems, and integration and testing.
- Provides design recommendations for actuator, sensor, and electrical (ADC/DAC) designs.
- Interacts with component suppliers and PCBA vendors.
- Identifies subsystem anomalies during integration phase and provide design recommendations.
- Experience with multiple programming languages (either to develop/modify code or manage contract resources), participate in code reviews, and approves design documentation.
- Organizes and manages work to deliver projects; leads in the execution of assigned work.
- Proficient in communicating complex technical situations in an understandable way across functions and disciplines.
- Participates in Risk Management activities to ensure that design and process needs are identified and appropriately addressed.
- Conducts feasibility studies to verify capability and functionality.
- Develops integration and verification test plans and protocols, and manages test execution
- Experience with automation tools and design
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE YOU’LL BRING:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Electrical Engineering. An equivalent combination of education and work experience
- 6+ years of experience in Electrical Engineering.
- Circuit board design experience (i.e., schematic capture, circuit simulations, etc.); either hands-on or leading external resource to complete task
- Experience with hardware debugging/ troubleshooting for legacy and new circuit board designs
- Familiarity with IEC standards for medical electrical equipment and software: IEC 60601 and IEC 62304, including familiarity with EMC compliance
- Ability to read and understand C software code for embedded processor applications
- Familiarity with control of electromechanical systems including motors and analog/digital sensors
- Understanding of analog and digital circuit design requirements for embedded processor I/O and signal conditioning
- Ability to work within a team and as an individual contributor in a fast-paced, changing environment.
- Ability to leverage and/or engage others to accomplish projects.
- Strong verbal and written communications with ability to effectively communicate at multiple levels in the organization.
- Multitasks, prioritizes, and meets deadlines in timely manner.
- Strong organizational and follow-up skills, as well as, attention to detail.
- Ability to travel approximately 10%, including internationally.
- Master’s Degree technical field or PHD in Electrical Engineering
- Experience with design and control analysis tools such as MATLAB, SIMULINK, ANSYS, etc.
- Experience with internet connected devices, wireless communication, and cybersecurity
- Technical subject matter expertise in the fulfillment of electrical basic safety and essential performance requirements (especially IEC 60601-1, 60601-1-2)
- Experience with Altium PCB/ORCAD design software and tools
- Experience and/or proficiency with C software development and debugging for embedded processor applications
- Experience with embedded processor control of 3-phase brushless motors
- Experience designing ADC/DAC and DC-DC converters