Senior Director, Scientific Engagement & Advocacy
Do you want to be part of an inclusive team that works to develop innovative therapies for patients? Every day, we are driven to develop and deliver innovative and effective new medicines to patients and physicians. If you want to be part of this exciting work, you belong at Astellas!
Astellas Pharma Inc. is a pharmaceutical company conducting business in more than 70 countries around the world. We are committed to turning innovative science into medical solutions that bring value and hope to patients and their families. Keeping our focus on addressing unmet medical needs and conducting our business with ethics and integrity enables us to improve the health of people throughout the world. For more information on Astellas, please visit our website at [Register to View] .
This position is based in Cambridge, Massachusetts. Candidates interested in a hybrid work arrangements are encouraged to apply.
Purpose and Scope:
The Senior Director, Scientific Engagement & Advocacy is responsible for leading, developing and implementing robust scientific engagement and advocacy strategies that support and advance the company’s Scientific Brand and Corporate Strategic Plan. This position will serve as the scientific engagement and advocacy subject matter expert for the Chief Medical Officer and his/her Leadership Team that oversees M&D operations globally. The Senior Director of Scientific Engagement and Advocacy will build meaningful relationships with key scientific stakeholders in the external innovation community, in support of Astellas’ stated business goals.
The role leads the Scientific Engagement and Advocacy strategy for M&D and collaborates across a network of related functions to achieve the following objectives:
- Create positive engagement with key stakeholders in the scientific innovation community (e.g., academic institutions, centers of scientific innovation) on Astellas’ corporate values, vision, corporate scientific brand, and positioning the Company as Employer and Partner of choice
- Raise the corporate profile, and the scientific profile of the Company’s portfolio among key stakeholders in the scientific innovation community; builds meaningful relationships that result in opportunities for partnership and collaboration
- Counsel senior executives on business matters that benefit from scientific engagement and advocacy strategy and programming
- Drive and advance scientific engagement and advocacy amongst the M&D organization and broader company globally
- Develop and implement scientific engagement and advocacy strategies that interface with other Astellas groups (e.g., Research, Corporate Advocacy & Relations, Business Development, Government Affairs) teams as necessary
- Implement a global strategy that maintains integrity of scientific engagement and advocacy that considers geographic nuances
- Provide scientific engagement and advocacy support for scientific, regulatory, and corporate milestones and disclosures
- Collaborate with Communications, Investor Relations, Business Development, Primary Focus Leaders and other such functional and scientific leaders across Astellas
Essential Job Responsibilities:
- Sets the Scientific Engagement and Advocacy strategy for M&D and collaborates across a network of related functions to ensure robust programs are developed and delivered that support M&D and corporate business objective
- Member of the M&D Strategic Planning & Communications leadership team responsible for harmonized strategies across M&D and other scientific organizations including scientific engagement and advocacy, executive visibility, employee engagement, external issues management, change management, scientific positioning, and measurement
- Work with the M&D Strategic Planning & Communications Leadership team to define integrated resources and responsibilities for new teams, processes, and interaction models to deliver business objectives
- Protect Astellas' reputation and drive a scientific corporate culture committed to integrity, and engagement & inclusion, fostering behaviors that contribute to the fulfillment of our Corporate Strategic Plan
- Quality control materials and outputs to ensure they meet high standards
- Direct multiple consultants and vendors, as needed, on projects and initiatives. Provide detailed briefs and set clear objectives for agencies to work toward.
- Responsible for the department budgets and ensure programs proposed and implemented do not exceed planned and agreed budgets
- As required, work as part of cross-functional work streams to provide scientific engagement and advocacy counsel and leadership for executives
- Ensure regular compliance training is undertaken and the scientific engagement and advocacy team is aware of compliance requirements
- Maintain effective contact with global counterparts and Global Headquarters to:
- Ensure activities and materials meet the Global Disclosure requirements
- Ensure a coordinated approach to major corporate, executive, and scientific-related announcements with key internal and external stakeholders
- Ensure M&D organization is strategically and accurately represented appropriately in wider strategic discussions and initiatives that relate to scientific engagement and advocacy
- Coach and support junior members of the scientific engagement and advocacy team to understand the importance of inclusivity
SCIENTIFIC ENGAGEMENT AND ADVOCACY
- Represent the Company externally and support the company in contacts with key stakeholders in the scientific innovation community to maintain a positive view of the company and its pipeline
- Lead on identifying and maximizing corporate and scientific engagement and advocacy opportunities which positively raise the profile of the company and build meaningful relationships with key stakeholders in the scientific innovation community
- Build meaningful relationships within the scientific innovation community that result in mutually beneficial relationships and opportunities for partnership and collaboration
- Direct a team of professional scientific engagement and advocacy colleagues
- Responsible for the development of scientific engagement and advocacy strategies, working with the global teams to ensure programs proposed align with the strategic imperatives set and scientific positioning of the Company
- Direct junior scientific engagement and advocacy personnel to ensure appropriate programs developed are approved, compliant and implemented within timelines set.
- Represent M&D and scientific divisions in strategic discussions related to scientific engagement and advocacy activities
- Work with other Astellas teams to ensure a coordinated approach to communicating the release of R&D/clinical data milestones
- Departmental and Divisional or Project-related budgets annually
- Team of award-winning, highly talented experienced scientific engagement and advocacy professionals – straight line reporting
- Consultant and vendor management