Abbott is a global healthcare leader that helps people live more fully at all stages of life. Our portfolio of life-changing technologies spans the spectrum of healthcare, with leading businesses and products in diagnostics, medical devices, nutritionals and branded generic medicines. Our 115,000 colleagues serve people in more than 160 countries.
The key to successful treatment and full recovery is often fast, accurate diagnosis. Abbott’s life-changing tests and diagnostic tools provide insights that enable smarter, faster decisions and transform the way the world is managing health.
Our pioneering technology spans the world of healthcare operations — with medical diagnostic instruments, tests, automation and informatics solutions for hospitals, reference labs, blood centers, emergency departments, physician offices and clinics.
Our location in Richmond, VA currently has an opportunity for an Extractionist. In this role, you will be responsible for preparation, extraction, and sample vial preparation of samples for GC/MS confirmation in accordance with the SAMHSA mandatory guidelines and those of other regulatory organizations.
WHAT YOU’LL DO
- Preparation and extraction of samples for GC/MS confirmation in the forensic toxicology laboratory
- Safely operate, monitor and troubleshoot laboratory equipment to ensure proper functionality
- Prepare, test and evaluate new reagents, controls and calibrators in compliance with SOPs and regulatory guidelines
- Perform and document preventative maintenance and quality control procedures
- Sound technical decision-making regarding testing and problem solving
- Storage of and replenishment of supplies as needed
- Adherence to all security procedures for ensuring confidentiality of donor information
- Adherence to all established guidelines outlined in Employee Handbook
- Must comply with company policies
- Maintain a safe work environment and wear appropriate personal protective equipment at all time
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE YOU’LL BRING
- Bachelor's degree in Biology, Chemistry, Medical Technology or a related science
- Ability to work independently and within a team environment
- High level of attention to detail along with strong communication and organizational skills
- Flexibility to work overtime or other shifts depending on business needs
- Proficient with computers; Familiarity with laboratory information systems are a plus
- Ability to lift and/or move 25 pounds
- Ability to read and comprehend the SOP, Federal (49 CFR Part 40), and CAP-FUDT guidelines
- Ability to communicate with other employees and supervisors
- Ability to provide input and recommendations on operations
- Climate-controlled office and testing laboratory environment
- May be potential exposure to toxic or hazardous materials
WHAT WE OFFER
At Abbott, you can have a good job that can grow into a great career. We offer:
- Training and career development, with onboarding programs for new employees and tuition assistance
- Financial security through competitive compensation and retirement plans
- Health care and well-being programs including medical, dental, vision, wellness and occupational health programs
- Paid time off
- 401(k) retirement savings with a generous company match
- The stability of a company with a record of strong financial performance and history of being actively involved in local communities
Learn more about our benefits that add real value to your life to help you live fully: [Register to View] target="_blank">[Register to View]
Follow your career aspirations to Abbott for diverse opportunities with a company that provides the growth and strength to build your future. Abbott is an Equal Opportunity Employer, committed to employee diversity.
Connect with us at [Register to View] target="_blank">[Register to View] , on Facebook at [Register to View] target="_blank">[Register to View] and on Twitter @AbbottNews and [Register to View]