Sr. Director Business Development, Search and Evaluation-Oncology
Site Name: Cambridge 300 Technology Square, Switzerland - Zug, UK - Hertfordshire - Stevenage, UK - London - Brentford, USA - Massachusetts - Waltham, USA - Pennsylvania - Upper Providence
Posted Date: Apr 27 2023
The Sr. Director Business Development, Search and Evaluation-Oncology is a senior role in the Oncology Global Product Strategy (GPS) organization at GSK, where the role holder supports late-stage global business development and licensing initiatives and has a direct impact on the success of the Oncology strategy and portfolio. The Search and Evaluation (S&E) group is responsible for proactively scouting external innovation to strengthen GSK’s oncology portfolio. By assembling teams of internal subject matter experts, the role holder will conduct technical evaluation and due diligence activities that ensure an in-depth understanding of strategic investment opportunities.
By effectively synthesizing and communicating the merits of potential investment opportunities, the role holder will enable enterprise decision-making related to business development opportunities. The successful candidate will have a strong scientific and clinical background, proven project and people leadership, business and strategic acumen and excellent communication skills. In addition, the candidate will have an ability to engage and collaborate across organizational boundaries with an entrepreneurial attitude by acting with urgency and agility.
This role will provide YOU the opportunity to lead key activities to progress YOUR career, these responsibilities include some of the following
- Synthesize varied and vast information including clinical data, competitive landscape, market, and investment trends to formulate business cases that will deliver substantial enterprise value to GSK.
- Possess gravitas and significant learning agility allowing for fluency across disciplines, allowing the role holder to drive constructive challenge and debate amongst senior stakeholders to ensure the best outcomes for GSK.
- Acts with substantial urgency and entrepreneurial attitude in driving the deal process to go/no-go decisions.
- Engage with the life science investment and biotech community, alongside senior GSK executives, to represent GSK Oncology strategic initiatives and business priorities to build relationships and industry-leading deal flow.
- Establishing and leading initial technical evaluation and formal diligence processes to drive the rigorous scientific evaluation of potential assets and deliver clear recommendations to key governance bodies and senior GSK leadership.
- Serving as the primary point of contact with the external partner throughout the deal process including during submission and negotiation of non-binding term sheet (NBTS) through to deal execution.
- Works collaboratively with the Transactional lead within GSK Corporate Development during negotiation of any NBTS or definitive agreement.
- Serving as the internal lead in both preparation and presentation of business case and other briefing materials for senior management with support from functions across the business.
- Working with key stakeholders and cross-functional teams to ensure effective communication, efficient decision-making, to support completion of transactions in a timely manner.
- Establishes and maintains a broad network of internal and external stakeholders and maintains a high level of external visibility, ensuring GSK appears as the Partner of Choice for the Biotech community.
- Expert in industry trends and awareness of competitor datasets in GSK areas of strategic focus.
We are looking for professionals with these required skills to achieve our goals:
- Advanced degree (such as MS, MBA, PhD, PharmD, JD, MD)
- 6 plus years of experience in the oncology life sciences industry
- Experience in drug discovery and development with a scientific reputation
- Experience in pharmaceutical R&D, demonstrating international experience in multiple cultures and drug discovery / clinical environments.
If you have the following characteristics, it would be a plus:
- MBA or postdoctoral experience
- Ability to think critically, creatively and to anticipate and solve problems
- Ability to navigate and be successful in a fast-paced, matrixed work environment
- Proven innovation driven leadership abilities in a drug discovery environment with demonstrable knowledge of drug development
- Experience interacting and communicating effectively with senior executive teams
- Demonstrated experience leading and influencing experienced professionals and executives
- Strong track record of building successful internal/external partnership and collaboration relationships, demonstrating cultural sensitivity and awareness
We’re uniting science, technology and talent to make a difference in more people’s lives, and revolutionizing the way we do R&D.
We’re combining the power of genetic and genomic insights into what causes disease, with the speed and scale of artificial intelligence and machine learning (AI/ML) to make better predictions about who a treatment might work for, and why. We believe this powerful combination of data and technology holds the key to fundamentally transforming medical discovery for the better, improving R&D success rates and shaping how even the most challenging diseases, like neurological conditions and cancer, can be both prevented and treated.
In 2021 we delivered four major product approvals: Cabenuva for HIV, Jemperli for endometrial cancer, Xevudy for COVID-19 and Apretude, our new long-acting medicine for HIV prevention.
Find out more:
GSK is a global biopharma company with a special purpose – to unite science, technology and talent to get ahead of disease together – so we can positively impact the health of billions of people and deliver stronger, more sustainable shareholder returns – as an organisation where people can thrive. Getting ahead means preventing disease as well as treating it, and we aim to positively impact the health of 2.5 billion people by the end of 2030.
Our success absolutely depends on our people. While getting ahead of disease together is about our ambition for patients and shareholders, it’s also about making GSK a place where people can thrive. We want GSK to be a workplace where everyone can feel a sense of belonging and thrive as set out in our Equal and Inclusive Treatment of Employees policy. We’re committed to being more proactive at all levels so that our workforce reflects the communities we work and hire in, and our GSK leadership reflects our GSK workforce.
If you require an accommodation or other assistance to apply for a job at GSK, please contact the GSK Service Centre at 1-[Register to View] (US Toll Free) or +1 [Register to View] (outside US).
GSK is an Equal Opportunity Employer and, in the US, we adhere to Affirmative Action principles. This ensures that all qualified applicants will receive equal consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, pregnancy, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, age, disability, genetic information, military service, covered/protected veteran status or any other federal, state or local protected class.
Important notice to Employment businesses/ Agencies
GSK does not accept referrals from employment businesses and/or employment agencies in respect of the vacancies posted on this site. All employment businesses/agencies are required to contact GSK's commercial and general procurement/human resources department to obtain prior written authorization before referring any candidates to GSK. The obtaining of prior written authorization is a condition precedent to any agreement (verbal or written) between the employment business/ agency and GSK. In the absence of such written authorization being obtained any actions undertaken by the employment business/agency shall be deemed to have been performed without the consent or contractual agreement of GSK. GSK shall therefore not be liable for any fees arising from such actions or any fees arising from any referrals by employment businesses/agencies in respect of the vacancies posted on this site.
Please note that if you are a US Licensed Healthcare Professional or Healthcare Professional as defined by the laws of the state issuing your license, GSK may be required to capture and report expenses GSK incurs, on your behalf, in the event you are afforded an interview for employment. This capture of applicable transfers of value is necessary to ensure GSK’s compliance to all federal and state US Transparency requirements. For more information, please visit GSK’s Transparency Reporting [Register to View] site.