Head of Business Development, Technology
Site Name: Cambridge 300 Technology Square, Switzerland - Zug, UK - Hertfordshire - Stevenage, UK - London - Brentford, USA - Massachusetts - Waltham, USA - Pennsylvania - Upper Providence
Posted Date: Feb 20 2023
As a Head of Business Development, Technology, you will be a leader within the Business Development team, responsible for strengthening our research and development pipeline through external innovation encompassing all stages of science and drug development. This role leads a team of BD professionals working on end-to-end transactions, that support GSK’s technology ambition, spanning licensing, divestments to whole company acquisitions.
GSK’s overall Research & Development (R&D) strategy focuses on science related to the immune system, the use of human genetics and advanced technologies. These unlock the potential of new areas of science, including AI/ML and mRNA-based therapeutics, enabling us to design and develop new classes of medicine and bring them to patients more quickly and cost-effectively. The technology BD team has been at the forefront of enabling rapid evolution in GSK’s capabilities through a wide range of strategic transactions including the strategic collaborations with the Laboratory for Genomic Research at University of California, the Institute for Molecular and Computational Medicine in Oxford, LifeMine Therapeutics [Register to View] and most recently with Tempus Labs. In this role, you will play a pivotal role in delivering our vision for GSK and patients.
If you are motivated by challenge, fascinated by technology and business, and compelled to make a difference then you are encouraged to apply. Together, we will help GSK to transform the therapeutic outcomes for patients world-wide to get a head of disease together.
This role will provide YOU the opportunity to lead key activities to progress YOUR career, these responsibilities include some of the following:
- Lead a team of BD professionals responsible for sourcing, evaluating, negotiating, and executing transactions that support the GSK R&D technology capabilities and ambition
- Work with senior leaders within GSK’s R&D organization to define the opportunity for external technology innovation to transform their team’s capability to progress the medicine discovery and development portfolio
- Find cutting-edge technologies and draw on GSK’s scientific community to rigorously evaluate their potential and fit
- Structure deals and negotiate with the potential partners
- Lead R&D, legal, finance and commercial matrix teams throughout the entire deal process including technical and commercial due diligence and negotiating appropriate business access terms with the potential partner to establish an investment proposal
- Drive forward the investment proposal through GSK governance and decision-making process
- Close deals and contract in partnership with legal, finance and other areas of GSK
- Build and maintain a strong external network and presence within the innovation ecosystem
- Develop, mentor, and recruit a high-performing team of BD professionals
- Establish and strengthen the relationship with the potential external partner throughout the scouting and deal process
- Coordinate with GSK’s Alliance Management team to manage the relationship post deal signing to ensure value maximization of the relationship
We are looking for professionals with these required skills to achieve our goals:
- Advanced degree (such as MS, MBA, PhD, PharmD, JD, MD)
- 6 plus years experience working in pharmaceutical or biotechnology industry
- 6 plus years experience in business development, technology transfer or other similar experience
If you have the following characteristics, it would be a plus:
- PhD, PharmD or MD
- Scientific experience in any of the broad fields below would be especially beneficial:
- Digital health, data analytics, and machine learning
- Experience in all aspects of the pharmaceutical R&D process from early discovery through to marketed products
- Ideally, previous direct experience in a BD role that includes both Search & Evaluation and Transactions experience
- Experience and track record creating preliminary and full investment cases and communicating these to senior leaders
- Previous project leadership experience managing matrixed teams
- Line manager experience
- Experience forming and leading ad hoc teams of experts
- Experience presenting to senior level leaders and key stakeholders
- Ability to autonomously manage workload and priorities and to re-prioritize as required
- Personal attributes: proactive, independent, courage to challenge the status quo, influencing without authority, ability to operate in ambiguity, innovate and find creative solutions
We’re uniting science, technology and talent to make a difference in more people’s lives, and revolutionizing the way we do R&D.
We’re combining the power of genetic and genomic insights into what causes disease, with the speed and scale of artificial intelligence and machine learning (AI/ML) to make better predictions about who a treatment might work for, and why. We believe this powerful combination of data and technology holds the key to fundamentally transforming medical discovery for the better, improving R&D success rates and shaping how even the most challenging diseases, like neurological conditions and cancer, can be both prevented and treated.
In 2021 we delivered four major product approvals: Cabenuva for HIV, Jemperli for endometrial cancer, Xevudy for COVID-19 and Apretude, our new long-acting medicine for HIV prevention.
Find out more:
GSK is a global biopharma company with a special purpose – to unite science, technology and talent to get ahead of disease together – so we can positively impact the health of billions of people and deliver stronger, more sustainable shareholder returns – as an organisation where people can thrive. Getting ahead means preventing disease as well as treating it, and we aim to impact the health of 2.5 billion people around the world in the next 10 years.
Our success absolutely depends on our people. While getting ahead of disease together is about our ambition for patients and shareholders, it’s also about making GSK a place where people can thrive. We want GSK to be a workplace where everyone can feel a sense of belonging and thrive as set out in our Equal and Inclusive Treatment of Employees policy. We’re committed to being more proactive at all levels so that our workforce reflects the communities we work and hire in, and our GSK leadership reflects our GSK workforce.
If you require an accommodation or other assistance to apply for a job at GSK, please contact the GSK Service Centre at 1-[Register to View] (US Toll Free) or +1 [Register to View] (outside US).
GSK is an Equal Opportunity Employer and, in the US, we adhere to Affirmative Action principles. This ensures that all qualified applicants will receive equal consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, pregnancy, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, age, disability, genetic information, military service, covered/protected veteran status or any other federal, state or local protected class.
At GSK, the health and safety of our employees are of paramount importance. As a science-led healthcare company on a mission to get ahead of disease together, we believe that supporting vaccination against COVID-19 is the single best thing we can do in the US to ensure the health and safety of our employees, complementary workers, workplaces, customers, consumers, communities, and the patients we serve.
GSK has made the decision to require all US employees to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19, where allowed by state or local law and where vaccine supply is readily available. The only exceptions to this requirement are employees who are approved for an accommodation for religious, medical or disability-related reasons.
Important notice to Employment businesses/ Agencies
GSK does not accept referrals from employment businesses and/or employment agencies in respect of the vacancies posted on this site. All employment businesses/agencies are required to contact GSK's commercial and general procurement/human resources department to obtain prior written authorization before referring any candidates to GSK. The obtaining of prior written authorization is a condition precedent to any agreement (verbal or written) between the employment business/ agency and GSK. In the absence of such written authorization being obtained any actions undertaken by the employment business/agency shall be deemed to have been performed without the consent or contractual agreement of GSK. GSK shall therefore not be liable for any fees arising from such actions or any fees arising from any referrals by employment businesses/agencies in respect of the vacancies posted on this site.
Please note that if you are a US Licensed Healthcare Professional or Healthcare Professional as defined by the laws of the state issuing your license, GSK may be required to capture and report expenses GSK incurs, on your behalf, in the event you are afforded an interview for employment. This capture of applicable transfers of value is necessary to ensure GSK’s compliance to all federal and state US Transparency requirements. For more information, please visit GSK’s Transparency Reporting [Register to View] site.