Senior Packaging Engineer
Abbott is a global healthcare leader that helps people live more fully at all stages of life. Our portfolio of life-changing technologies spans the spectrum of healthcare, with leading businesses and products in diagnostics, medical devices, nutritionals and branded generic medicines. Our 115,000 colleagues serve people in more than 160 countries.
Abbott is a global healthcare leader, creating breakthrough science to improve people’s health. We’re always looking towards the future, anticipating changes in medical science and technology.
Working at Abbott
At Abbott, you can do work that matters, grow, and learn, care for yourself and family, be your true self and live a full life. You’ll also have access to:
- Career development with an international company where you can grow the career you dream of.
- Free medical coverage for employees* via the Health Investment Plan (HIP) PPO
- An excellent retirement savings plan with high employer contribution
- Tuition reimbursement, the [Register to View] target="_blank">Freedom 2 Save student debt program and [Register to View] target="_blank">FreeU education benefit - an affordable and convenient path to getting a bachelor’s degree.
- A company recognized as a great place to work in dozens of countries around the world and named one of the most admired companies in the world by Fortune.
- A company that is recognized as one of the best big companies to work for as well as a best place to work for diversity, working mothers, female executives, and scientists.
This position is an onsite opportunity in the Abbott Diabetes Care Division. We are helping people with Diabetes lead healthier, happier lives. As a global leader in diabetes care, Abbott is constantly working to deliver the highest quality products and unwavering support to our customers. Consistent and accurate glucose monitoring is the foundation of any diabetes management plan, so we’re committed to continuous improvement in the way patients and professionals measure, track and analyze glucose levels.
As a Senior Packaging Engineer, you will be responsible for management and introduction of Pack components to Packaging manufacturing lines into Third Party Manufacturing facility. Leads and participates in design, planning and introduction of pack components for existing and new products for Packaging production lines. The position provides technical leadership, project management and mentoring to engineers and team members. Drives activities at the supplier(s) to ensure that pack components are produced and delivered as per the part specifications for the production start-up through to scale up to increased volumes are achieved within ADC requirements. . This is an onsite opportunity in Austin, TX.
What You'll Do
- Selection of alternate pack component suppliers to supply all pack components to TPM’s
- Support Packaging SME at kit pack lines in the install and validation of packaging equipment at TPM’s
- Identify and implement packaging/labeling process improvement projects.
- Design, develop and test a wide variety of packaging components (i.e. Cartons, inserts, labels, shipper cases) used for the protection, display, and handling of products
- Work closely with pack component suppliers to address ongoing material issues, quality issues and implementation of CAPA, SCAR activities
- Determine packaging specifications according to the nature of the product, cost limitations, legal requirements, and the type of protection required, considering need for resistance to such external variables as moisture, corrosive chemicals, temperature variations, light, heat, rough handling, and tampering
- Work closely with CFT in the Designing of package exteriors considering such factors as product identification, sales appeal, aesthetic quality, printing and production techniques.
- Responsibilities may include documentation management and an understanding of Good Manufacturing Practices (GMPs).
- Creation and management of change requests (Engineering and manufacturing changes), Change action plans, within the document control system to update SKU BOM’s, as required
- May supervise or provide work direction to other engineers and technicians.
- May lead or serve as member of cross-functional project teams.
- Support all Company initiatives as identified by management and in support of Quality Management Systems (QMS), Environmental Management Systems (EMS), and other regulatory requirements.
- Responsible for compliance with applicable Corporate and Divisional Policies and procedures.
- Participates in determining goals and objectives for projects, maintains project schedules.
- Supporting in the product integrity and DVT testing activities, draft protocol and reports for testing activities.
Experience You'll Bring
- Bachelor's Degree (± 16 years) or Related field in an equivalent combination of education and work experience.
- Minimum 7 years of Experience details:
- Related work experience with a strong understanding of specified functional area
- Wide application of technical principles, practices, and procedures.
- Strong understanding of business unit functions and cross group dependencies/relationships.
- Will perform this job in a quality system environment.
- Failure to adequately perform tasks can result in noncompliance with governmental regulation.
- Works on problems of diverse scope where analysis of data requires evaluation of identifiable factors. Exercises judgment within generally defined practices and policies in selecting methods and techniques for obtaining solutions.
- Has a sound knowledge of various technical alternatives and their impact.
- Master's Degree (± 18 years) Preferred
* Participants who complete a short wellness assessment qualify for FREE coverage in our HIP PPO medical plan. Free cov erage applies in the next calendar year.
Learn more about our health and wellness benefits, which provide the security to help you and your family live full lives: [Register to View] target="_blank">[Register to View]
Follow your career aspirations to Abbott for diverse opportunities with a company that can help you build your future and live your best life. Abbott is an Equal Opportunity Employer, committed to employee diversity.
Connect with us at [Register to View] target="_blank">[Register to View] , on Facebook at [Register to View] target="_blank">[Register to View] and on Twitter @AbbottNews and [Register to View] Information
General Medical Devices:
Our medical devices help more than 10,000 people have healthier hearts, improve quality of life for thousands of people living with chronic pain and movement disorders, and liberate more than 500,000 people with diabetes from routine ﬁngersticks.
As a global leader in Cardiac Rhythm Technologies, we focus on innovative technologies that can improve the way doctors treat people with heart arrhythmias, or irregular heartbeats.
We’re focused on helping people with diabetes manage their health with life-changing products that provide accurate data to drive better-informed decisions. We’re revolutionizing the way people monitor their glucose levels with our new sensing technology.
Abbott Vascular provides innovative, minimally invasive, and cost-effective products for treatment of vascular disease.
Our Neuromodulation business includes implantable devices compatible with mobile technology to help people who suffer from chronic pain and movement disorders. These non-opioid therapies allow us to provide interventional pain therapy to patients throughout the pain continuum.
Structural Heart Business Mission: why we exist
Our business purpose is to restore health and improve quality of life through the design and provision of device and management solutions for the treatment of structural heart disease.
In Abbott’s Electrophysiology (EP) business, we’re advancing the treatment of heart disease through breakthrough medical technologies in atrial fibrillation, allowing people to restore their health and get on with their lives.
In Abbott’s Heart Failure (HF) business, we’re developing solutions to diagnose, monitor and manage heart failure, allowing people to restore their health and get on with their lives.
We’re empowering smarter medical and economic decision making to help transform the way people manage their health at all stages of life. Every day, more than 10 million tests are run on
Abbott’s diagnostics instruments, providing lab results for millions of people.
Abbott Molecular is a leader in molecular diagnostics and the analysis of DNA, RNA, and proteins at the molecular level.
Our Point of Care diagnostic portfolio spans key heath and therapeutic areas, including infections disease, cardiometabolic, informatics and toxicology.
Our diagnostic solutions are used in hospitals, laboratories and clinics around the globe. The crucial information derived from our tests, instruments and informatics systems are often the first step in patient care decision making for hundreds of health conditions from heart attacks to blood disorders to infectious diseases and cancers.
Our rapid diagnostics solutions are helping address some of the world’s greatest healthcare challenges.
Our nutrition business develops science-based nutrition products for people of all ages, from helping babies and children grow, to keeping adult bodies strong and active. Millions of people around the world count on our leading brands – including Similac®, PediaSure®, Pedialyte®, Ensure®, Glucerna® and ZonePerfect® – to help get the nutrients they need to live their healthiest life.