Abbott is a global healthcare leader that helps people live more fully at all stages of life. Our portfolio of life-changing technologies spans the spectrum of healthcare, with leading businesses and products in diagnostics, medical devices, nutritionals and branded generic medicines. Our 115,000 colleagues serve people in more than 160 countries.
Abbott is a global healthcare leader, creating breakthrough science to improve people’s health. We’re always looking towards the future, anticipating changes in medical science and technology.
Working at Abbott
At Abbott, you can do work that matters, grow, and learn, care for yourself and family, be your true self and live a full life. You’ll also have access to:
- Career development with an international company where you can grow the career you dream of.
- Free medical coverage for employees* via the Health Investment Plan (HIP) PPO
- An excellent retirement savings plan with high employer contribution
- Tuition reimbursement, the [Register to View] target="_blank">Freedom 2 Save student debt program and [Register to View] target="_blank">FreeU education benefit - an affordable and convenient path to getting a bachelor’s degree.
- A company recognized as a great place to work in dozens of countries around the world and named one of the most admired companies in the world by Fortune.
- A company that is recognized as one of the best big companies to work for as well as a best place to work for diversity, working mothers, female executives, and scientists.
Our Diagnostics business currently has an opportunity for a Systems Engineer.
This position is based on-site at our Irving, TX office.
MAIN PURPOSE OF ROLE
The Systems Engineer is responsible for understanding the integrated set of standards, sub-standards, and assemblies needed to design and manage systems over their life cycles. Applies an
interdisciplinary, collaborative approach to plan, design, develop and verify a life-cycle balanced system of systems and system/subsystems solution(s) which satisfies customer/operational needs and public/regulatory acceptability. This includes a multitude of systems requirements that range from design, development, test methodologies, validations, risk analysis, documentation, and process improvements.
• Defines system requirements, system specifications and input/output process, etc.. Analyzes system requirements, user needs, system design, and coordinates system evaluation activities.
• Participates in design reviews, development and testing to assess performance against design specification; reliability testing, and assessment of system interactions.
• Documents system requirements by writing documents, reports, memos, change requests, etc. Methods used are determined by approved procedures and standards.
• Conducts special studies or experiments to improve systems engineering practices, system quality, and define new components, products or processes
• Apply sound, systematic problem-solving methodologies in identifying, prioritizing, communicating, and resolving System level issues. Assist in the development of manufacturing processes and troubleshooting issues to determine root cause and possible engineering solutions.
• Continuously improves process and work methodologies by interfacing with peers/cross- functional groups and analyze activities to improve workflow and work processes.
• Ensure relevant engineering knowledge and skills are up-to-date (e.g. methods and tools within software engineering, mathematics, requirements engineering, risk management, good documentation practices, product development, etc.)
• Collaborate with various Engineering departments/disciplines (e.g., design, test, software, technology) through knowledge of the interaction between departments/disciplines and how their products/processes affect one another and impact non-engineering processes (e.g. Operations, Logistics, Business, Quality).
Bachelor’s Degree in Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics (STEM)
Minimum 3 years of relevant systems engineering experience.
i. Ability to apply principles of systems thinking to accelerate performance
ii. Demonstrated Customer Focus, making their needs a primary focus of one's actions.
iii. Experience leading complex system and risk analysis.
iv. Ability to lead and utilize data to make decisions and influence stakeholders.
v. Demonstrated success in technical proficiency, creativity, and independent thought.
vi. Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
vii. Knowledge of System Engineering principles or concepts.
- Bachelor's Degree in Electrical, Mechanical or Biomedical Engineering discipline/concentration. Master’s Degree in Electrical, Mechanical or Biomedical Engineering is preferred.
- Experience working in medical product development and on-market support
- Experience in product risk analysis/management from end user safety standpoint
- Experience in root cause analysis on complex system performance
- Experience in applying principles and tools of Lean Six Sigma towards product or process improvement
- Experience in usage of artificial intelligence and machine learning algorithm (Linear Regression, Support Vector Machine etc.)
- Experience in leading a project and influencing in decision making
- Demonstrated ability to apply systems thinking to accelerate product performance