Senior Counsel, Mergers and Acquisitions
Abbott is a global healthcare leader that helps people live more fully at all stages of life. Our portfolio of life-changing technologies spans the spectrum of healthcare, with leading businesses and products in diagnostics, medical devices, nutritionals and branded generic medicines. Our 113,000 colleagues serve people in more than 160 countries.
Abbott is currently seeking an experienced transactional attorney to lead acquisitions, mergers, divestitures, equity investments and other sophisticated transactions. The successful candidate will work closely with other members of Abbott’s Legal Division, as well as senior business leaders.
- Reports to Divisional Vice President within the Corporate Legal Department
The successful candidate will possess demonstrated expertise in leading significant, complex mergers and acquisitions. In-house experience and experience with cross-border transactions and is preferred. The position’s core job responsibilities include:
- Active involvement in all aspects of sophisticated transactions, including leading negotiations, decision-making, supervising due diligence, supervising agreement drafting and advising internal constituents.
- Identifying issues and developing and implementing solutions; and
- Advising business leaders and collaborating with business leaders, legal colleagues and outside counsel to drive desired outcomes.
**Candidates should submit a list of transactions worked on (including their role in each transaction) when submitting a resume**
Critical Success Factors:
- Judgment: The successful candidate will demonstrate expertise and sound judgment in complex situations. They will be able to prioritize effectively, think strategically, see the big picture as well as important details, and will be able to develop solutions and provide practical, risk-balanced advice.
- Communication: The successful candidate will have strong communication skills and the ability to adapt their communication to different audiences. They will be able to distill most important points for executive audiences, and influence internal constituents and counterparties.
- Collaboration: The successful candidate will build strong relationships with legal and business stakeholders. They will synthesize information from multiple sources to drive for results as part of a team, while fostering internal alignment in a complex, matrixed environment.
- Leadership: The successful candidate will be able to manage high-performing internal and external legal counsel. They will organize and direct cross-functional teams of subject matter experts, and will seek to mentor, collaborate, teach and learn from others.
- Candidates must possess a Juris Doctor degree from an accredited law school, demonstrate a strong academic background, be admitted to a US state bar and in good standing, and have, or be able to obtain, licensure to practice law in Illinois.
- Minimum of 10 years of experience in mergers and acquisitions. Must include experience with large corporate clients.
- Experience in a large law firm required. In-house experience at a large corporation is preferred.
- Proven ability to perform successfully in cross-functional teams, with the ability to lead and mentor
Abbott is an Employer of Choice:
Through numerous local, national, and international accolades, Abbott is regarded as an employer of choice for our commitment to workplace excellence. Our employees are given the tools to succeed, lead and grow, with challenging opportunities and work that makes a difference. Through our diverse healthcare businesses, we connect people and potential in ways that no other company can. Discover a world of opportunities at Abbott.
Who We Are: We are legal professionals and business partners, and we use our expertise and judgment to guide Abbott’s businesses through the challenges that come with operating in complex global environments.
What We Offer: Abbott Legal provides meaningful and challenging work on a global scale. We are a dynamic organization and we develop our employees to meet the evolving needs of the company.
How We Work: We are collaborative, curious, and pragmatic. We value diversity of background, experience, and thought in our teams. We are expected to be holistic thinkers who see the big picture, and make thoughtful, informed decisions.