Microbiologist Laboratory Technician
The Microbiology Laboratory Technician will report to the Microbiology Manager and will support Constellation in vineyard, grape, cellar, wine and bottling microbiology, applying knowledge of microscopy and genetic testing to improve setup and optimization of instrumentation to address quality needs. This position is based in our Technical Services group and supports our timely analysis of samples (60%) and research projects/experiments (40%) to ensure consumer-driven wine quality from vineyard to shelf. Experienced hands-on microbiology in working with yeast and bacteria cultures, maintaining microbe libraries, isolations and genetic identifications.
- Apply knowledge of Microbiology, fermentation, sanitation and Quality Control testing to perform microbiological tests on wine, must, juice, water and other related matrices.
- Responsible for test preparation to include preparation of reagents and standardized solutions, dispensing of samples without cross contamination, set-up, and clean-up during and after analysis.
- Monitor microbiological processes, ensuring accurate procedures are always followed.
- Performed vine/grape/wine DNA extractions with subsequent PCR/LAMP/DNA Sequencing analyses
- Swabbing equipment and streaking plates to isolate and characterize specific microbe strains.
- Effectively communicate (verbally and written) results to supervisor and partners in a timely manner.
- Troubleshoot and maintain lab instruments.
- Manage inventory and always ensure adequate supplies; ensure procurement of necessary supplies as needed
- Assist Microbiologist with analyzing data and creating reports.
- Critical thinking to recommend and implement improvements in data acquisition and laboratory operations
- Assist with training as needed.
- Responsible for general housekeeping duties to maintain clean, safe, sanitary work area.
- Responsible for compliance with Constellation Brands sustainability policies and practices which are economically viable, socially acceptable, and environmentally sound. This is done by supporting programs at each location for conservation, energy efficiency, and recycling, which are critical for our operations to achieve tangible environmental results.
- Follow safe operating procedures, support safety programs and policies to safeguard personal safety, company property, environmental and team member’s safety.
- Must maintain satisfactory attendance, to include timeliness.
- This job description reflects management’s assessment of essential functions; it does not prescribe or restrict the tasks that may be assigned.
- Bachelor degree with emphasis in Microbiology, Enology, Food Science, or equivalent discipline
- 3+ years microbiology lab experience (equivalent combination of education and experience is acceptable)
- Experience in Microbiology procedures such as sterile technique, isolating microbes, making selective media and agar plates, identify colony and cell morphology, maintaining microbe cultures, yeast/bacteria hemocytometer counts and viability staining
- Proven success calibrating, operating, trouble shooting and maintaining instruments, such as DNA Sequencers, microplate reader, qPCR, Biosafety hood, microscopes, electrophoresis, ATP/bioluminescence.
- Knowledge of Quality Control and sanitation procedures
- Strong math and computer skills
- Skilled in the use of MS Excel, MS Word and MS PowerPoint
- Strong verbal and written communication skills – highly articulate, strong technical writing skills
- Strong planning and organizational skills and ability to handle multiple tasks.
- Strong attention to detail and ability to precisely follow directions.
- Able to work shift work/weekends and overtime
- Experience in high-volume environment
- Excellent interpersonal and team skills, which foster working relationships throughout CBI and outside groups.
- Wine Chemistry knowledge and statistical analysis of data
- Previous winery experience and knowledge of various wine types and microbes found in vineyards, fermentations and cellars
- Computer programming
- Raman spectroscopy/microscopy and DNA synthesis
Physical Requirements/Work Environment
- The lab presents a unique environment that requires performing tasks of a repetitious nature, the ability to change job priorities and the need for speed, accuracy and precision to ensure the highest quality standards.
- Works outdoors/indoors.
- Works in warm/cold climates.
- Works in high places.
- Works on wet surfaces.
- Is exposed to loud noise, fumes and/or toxic chemicals.
- Works near moving, mechanical parts and lift truck traffic.
- Must be able to move up to 55lbs.
- Primary office environment may be warehouse/distribution setting.
- Must be at least 21 years of age.
- Must be able to sit and/or stand for long periods of time and work on a computer for extended periods. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Job TypeFull time
Job AreaOperations and Production
The salary range for this role is:$64,800.00 - $95,200.00
This is the lowest to highest salary we in good faith believe we would pay for this role at the time of this posting. We may ultimately pay more or less than the posted range, and the range may be modified in the future. An employee’s pay position within the salary range will be based on several factors including, but limited to, the prevailing minimum wage for the location, relevant education, qualifications, certifications, experience, skills, seniority, geographic location, performance, shift, travel requirements, sales or revenue-based metrics, any collective bargaining agreements, and business or organizational needs. We offer comprehensive package of benefits including paid time off, medical/dental/vision insurance, 401(k), and any other benefits to eligible employees.
Note: No amount of pay is considered to be wages or compensation until such amount is earned, vested, and determinable. The amount and availability of any bonus, commission, or any other form of compensation that are allocable to a particular employee remains in the Company's sole discretion unless and until paid and may be modified at the Company’s sole discretion, consistent with the law.
Constellation Brands is committed to a continuing program of equal employment opportunity. All persons have equal employment opportunities with Constellation Brands, regardless of their sex, race, color, age, religion, creed, sexual orientation, national origin or citizenship, ancestry, physical or mental disability, medical condition (cancer or genetic characteristics), marital status, gender (including gender identity or gender expression), familial status, military or veteran status, genetic information, pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding, or related conditions (or any other group or category within the framework of the applicable discrimination laws and regulations).