Senior Software Engineer
What you'll do...
As a software engineer, you will have the opportunity to work closely with our data scientists, business partners and systems engineers to drive the definition and implementation of the next generation of applications and analytics tools for our predictive intelligence platform.
We are focused on teamwork, technology, and most importantly the customer. From using traditional web applications to visualization tools to mobile to enable data scientists and business users get actionable insights into extreme data, there are a lot of exciting opportunities!
- Develop real-time predictive analysis tools and back-end platform
- Enable data scientists, business, and product partners to fully leverage our predictive analytics platform for very large volumes of data
- Demonstrate and clearly articulate reasoning for design and implementation choices
- Demonstrate willingness to take feedback and adapt solutions where appropriate
- Interact with other team members to incorporate their innovations and vice versa
- Participate in design and code reviews
- Demonstrate up-to-date expertise in Software Engineering and apply this to the development, execution, and improvement of action plans
- Lead and participate in medium-to large-scale projects
- Be the consummate team player with a demonstrable ability to learn quickly. Amazing ability to get stuff done
- BS/MS in Computer Science or related technical discipline, or equivalent practical experience.
- At least 3 to 5 years of engineering experience (the more the better)
- Built large scale projects with Java and Spring
- Willing and able to work with a variety of programming languages
- Good knowledge of databases such as Oracle, MySQL, etc
- Strong opinions backed by proven experience on how systems should be built
- Knowledge of Devops, Provisioning, etc
- Experience with data models, the JVM, and Data Layer concepts (ORMs, JDBC, Connection Handling)
- Able to diagnose, debug, and optimize application data layer issues
- Strong and clear communicator that can listen to their team as well as clearly articulate their ideas
- Strong attention to detail
- A desire to bring innovative solutions to the challenges of scaling the API and platform
- Agile software development experience
- Well versed in data stores, distributed systems, data modeling and their associated pitfalls
- Experience with scripting languages such as Shell Script
- Experience with data streaming and caching
- Experience with Linux production environments
Benefits & Perks
Beyond competitive pay, you can receive incentive awards for your performance. Other great perks include 401(k) match, stock purchase plan, paid maternity and parental leave, PTO, multiple health plans, and much more.
Who We Are
What started small, with a single discount store and the simple idea of selling more for less, has grown over the last 50 years into the largest retailer in the world. Each week, over 260 million customers and members visit our 11,695 stores under 59 banners in 28 countries and e-commerce websites in 11 countries. With fiscal year 2017 revenue of $485.9 billion, Walmart employs approximately 2.3 million associates worldwide. Walmart continues to be a leader in sustainability, corporate philanthropy and employment opportunity. It's all part of our unwavering commitment to creating opportunities and bringing value to customers and communities around the world.
Equal Opportunity Employer
Walmart, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer - By Choice. We believe we are best equipped to help our associates, customers, and the communities we serve live better when we really know them. That means understanding, respecting, and valuing diversity- unique styles, experiences, identities, ideas and opinions - while being inclusive of all people.
About Global Tech
Imagine working in an environment where one line of code can make life easier for hundreds of millions of people and put a smile on their face. That's what we do at Walmart Global Tech. We're a team of 15,000+ software engineers, data scientists and service professionals within Walmart, the world's largest retailer, delivering innovations that improve how our customers shop and empower our 2.2 million associates. To others, innovation looks like an app, service or some code, but Walmart has always been about people. People are why we innovate, and people power our innovations. Being human-led is our true disruption.
Outlined below are the required minimum qualifications for this position. If none are listed, there are no minimum qualifications.
Bachelor's degree in Computer Science and 3 years' experience in software engineering or related field OR 5 years' experience in software
engineering or related field.
Outlined below are the optional preferred qualifications for this position. If none are listed, there are no preferred qualifications.
Master's degree in Computer Science or related field and 2 years' experience in software engineering or related field
600 WEST CALIFORNIA AVENUE, SUNNYVALE, CA 94086-2486, United States of America