Lead Software Engineer (Java) PHT
- Plans, designs, develops and tests back-end software systems or applications for software enhancements and new products including cloud-based or internet-related tools.
- Writes code that establishes and enhances coding specifications, typically for software programs and systems that have little or no precedence.
- Delivers software features with exceptional quality, meeting designated release plans and delivery commitments.
- Works on problems of diverse scope where analysis of data requires evaluation of identifiable factors. Demonstrates good judgment in selecting methods and techniques for obtaining solutions.
- Leads the daily work of assigned work group / team. Recommends modifications to the daily operations of the assigned work group / team. Makes needed adjustments to short-term priorities.
- Owns a functional area. Breaks large requests down into sub-tasks, gives higher-level status updates. Writes test plans. Takes operational responsibility. Sets measurable goals, and meets them. Reviews code changes.
- Networks with senior internal and external personnel in own area of expertise. Interacts with direct team of accountability, peers and/or managers in other teams. May interact with vendors and/or customers to share information and improve workflow processes.
- May design specifications of assigned projects and may lead in implementation.
- Demonstrates proficiency in all areas of the professional function and advanced in-depth specialization in some.
- Participates in developing technical / business approaches and new or enhanced technical tools. Has proven expertise in software design, architecture and software and system interrelationships. Has expert knowledge of programming languages important to the organization.
- Sets software engineering project schedules, defines project parameters and tasks and monitors project tasks. Develops and keeps the "vision" of the project, leading others toward its completion.
- Resolves a wide range of issues in creative ways.
- Owns the development and rollout for an entire product, or large project. Champions process (Scrum, TDD, etc). Writes tech specs and identifies risks before starting major projects. Sets standards. Goes out of their way to reduce complexity. As needed, takes on additional “tech lead” responsibilities for driving an initiative to completion.
- Allocates and tracks the work of individual contributors. Participates in teaching and training members of work group / team.
Walgreens (www.walgreens.com) is included in the U.S. Retail Pharmacy and U.S. Healthcare segments of Walgreens Boots Alliance, Inc. (Nasdaq: WBA), an integrated healthcare, pharmacy and retail leader with a 170 year heritage of caring for communities. WBA’s purpose is to create more joyful lives through better health. Operating nearly 9,000 retail locations across America, Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin Islands, Walgreens is proud to be a neighborhood health destination serving nearly 10 million customers each day. Walgreens pharmacists play a critical role in the U.S. healthcare system by providing a wide range of pharmacy and healthcare services, including those that drive equitable access to care for the nation’s medically underserved populations. To best meet the needs of customers and patients, Walgreens offers a true omnichannel experience, with fully integrated physical and digital platforms supported by the latest technology to deliver high quality products and services in communities nationwide.
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Information Technology or related field of study and at least 5 years of professional work experience in Engineering, Software Engineering or similar
- Java back-end development experience with Java Spring boot microservices capabilities
- Front-end development experience
- At least 3 years of experience mentoring a team of engineers, working as a tech lead or leading an engineering team
- Experience with programming languages for online applications, microservices or mobile applications or deployment automation
- Experience designing/building moderately complex applications
- Experience writing automated test scripts
- Experience creating coding/scripting solutions to fix complex problems/issues
- Experience engaging and the executive level
- At least 2 years of experience contributing to financial decisions in the workplace.
- Enthusiastic about promoting high quality standards in the team across documentation, unit testing, code reviews, test automation & CI/CD
- Mentor team in the choice of Enterprise Integration patterns for a seamless integration with other enterprise & external assets
- Big picture person with obsession about functional completeness, performance, security & resilience of end-to-end solution
- Strong knowledge of implementation, security, capacity planning & performance tuning of solutions deployed to Cloud technologies – Azure (ACS, AKS), Google, IBM, AWS or Cloud Foundry