Operations Engineer 2, ActiveCore
Comcast Business offers technology solutions ranging from Ethernet, internet, and WiFi connectivity to voice, television, and managed Enterprise solutions to power businesses of all sizes to perform better. From small businesses to mid-market and large Enterprise organizations, Comcast Business serves business customers across the country. Powered by an advanced, Gig-speed network and backed by 24/7 technical support, Comcast Business is one of the largest contributors to the growth of Comcast Cable. The organization is the nation’s largest cable provider to small and mid-size businesses and has emerged as a force in the Enterprise market, recognized by leading industry associations as one of the fastest growing provider of Ethernet services.
Job SummaryResponsible for planning and designing internal communications network. Plays an important role in the testing and certifying of new hardware, configurations and services prior to deployment to the Company Network. Works with moderate guidance in own area of knowledge.
- Works in a Software Defined Networking (SDN) environment.
- Understands Network Function Virtualization (VNF) concepts and strategies including Universal Customer Premise Equipment (uCPE).
- Demonstrates expert level knowledge of Internet Protocol (IP) routing and switching fundamentals (See Preferred Requirements).
- Works in a 24x7 Operations environment supporting live customers.
- Supports both standard customers as well as large/complex customers with custom designs and configurations.
- Exercises judgment during incident management, site design, network configuration and network activation to ensure efficient use of time.
- Displays in-depth knowledge of engineering and development methodologies, concepts, skills, and their application.
- Implements uCPE and associated services in the inventory management database and updates and/or modifies designs with IP assignments and CLLI codes.
- Provisions network service configuration in the SDN Service platform for services such as Firewall, NAT/PAT, QoS, DHCP, Traffic Steering, BGP, Static Routes, Wireless Backup, Hybrid WAN, High Availability, LAN and WAN interfaces, etc.
- Completes Bill of Materials (BOM) for hardware required for each site provisioned, ensuring the configuration and hardware match to meet the customer’s requirements.
- Working with Customer Project Managers (CPM), provides configurations and technical leadership as a primary technical resource on IP router network technologies, traffic flows, and overall end to end network communication during the Service Delivery process.
Test and Turn Up:
- Tests and turns up new uCPE and Wireless Backup circuits in a production environment. May recommend new practices and procedures, as necessary.
- Executes test plans and logs results. Gathers supporting documentation such as installation photos and speed tests.
- Works with Field Technicians in all Regions, as well as related Engineering departments and centers, to maintain communications regarding work orders/projects. Instructs the field how to connect the uCPE and Underlay circuit(s).
- Coordinates and resolves service issues with providers and vendors to ensure accurate and timely implementation and resolution of off-net Underlay circuit issues.
- Coordinates efforts to resolve issues so all orders are completed in a timely fashion.
- Regularly updates CPM with issues/progress status. May provide project leadership, as required.
- Interfaces with customers in regard to acceptance testing of SDN Overlay and Wireless Backup services. Executes test plans and logs results.
- Develops and implements test and acceptance criteria for network elements.
- Troubleshoots IP networking and security issues, providing resolutions according to established practices and procedures including executing packet captures, analyzing network performance data, reviewing security profiles, parsing log files, and understanding the customer’s desired outcome.
- Interfaces with customers to resolve customer issues with their service.
- Interfaces with customers to understand Change of Service requests.
- Interfaces with customers to help educate them on the use and functionality of their service.
- Opens and updates service tickets in database/tracking system.
- Expertly troubleshoots IP and Network Security issues including routing, performance, connectivity, access, network address translation, access control lists/firewall rules, and network management protocols (DHCP, DNS, etc.).
- Analyze network performance metrics and identify service affecting root causes to customer chronic and systemic issues. Collaborates with customer, Development and Strategic Engineering, and SDN Service platform vendor during in-depth troubleshooting.
- Executes Change of Service requests through the SDN Service platform. Validates functionality after changes made to ensure customer satisfaction.
- Escalates issues in a timely fashion. Provides all relevant information, accurately entering information into trouble ticket database.
- Directs efforts so as to maintain service Mean Time to Repair (MTTR) within regional or contractual standards.
- Performs deep dives and root cause analysis into customer issues looking for systemic problems.
- Collaborates with Engineering and Vendor teams on resolution of systemic problems.
- Coordinates and implements patches in the production environment to resolve systemic problems.
- Provides feedback to and supports applications/features/products under development. Assists with the software update process for existing applications, and rollouts of software releases.
- Collaborates with project stakeholders to identify tool and technical requirements to support Operations. Conducts analysis to determine integration needs.
- Works with Product Development team to determine if products, features, and applications fit specification and technical requirements.
- Researches, writes and edits documentation and technical requirements, including product and feature designs, evaluation test plans, test results, technical manuals and formal recommendations and reports.
- Demonstrates expert level knowledge of Internet Protocol (IP) routing and switching fundamentals to include network topologies, routing protocols, IP addressing, firewalls, Network Address Translation (NAT), Quality of Service (QoS), Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol (DHCP), Domain Name Service (DNS), Virtual Private Networks (VPN), Virtual LAN (VLAN) architectures, High Availability, Unified Threat Management, OSI layer 1-4 protocols and technologies (TCP/UDP, Ethernet, WIFI, Broadband, etc.).
Employees at all levels are expected to:
- Understand our Operating Principles; make them the guidelines for how you do your job.
- Own the customer experience - think and act in ways that put our customers first, give them seamless digital options at every touchpoint, and make them promoters of our products and services.
- Know your stuff - be enthusiastic learners, users and advocates of our game-changing technology, products and services, especially our digital tools and experiences.
- Win as a team - make big things happen by working together and being open to new ideas.
- Be an active part of the Net Promoter System - a way of working that brings more employee and customer feedback into the company - by joining huddles, making call backs and helping us elevate opportunities to do better for our customers.
- Drive results and growth.
- Respect and promote inclusion & diversity.
- Do what's right for each other, our customers, investors and our communities.
Pay range information for the primary location is below.
This job can also be performed in Denver, Colorado, with a pay range of
Pay Range: $63,489.35 - $95,234.02
- This information has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by employees in this role. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities and qualifications.
Comcast is an EOE/Veterans/Disabled/LGBT employer.
Comcast is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace. We will consider all qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran status, or any other basis protected by applicable law.
While possessing the stated degree is preferred, Comcast also may consider applicants who hold some combination of coursework and experience, or who have extensive related professional experience.
Relevant Work Experience
Pay Range: This job can be performed in Denver Campus, with a Pay Range of $66,512.65 USD - $99,768.97 USD
Comcast intends to offer the selected candidate base pay within this range, dependent on job-related, non-discriminatory factors such as experience.
Base pay is one part of the Total Rewards that Comcast provides to compensate and recognize employees for their work. Most sales positions are eligible for a Commission under the terms of an applicable plan, while most non-sales positions are eligible for a Bonus. Additionally, Comcast provides best-in-class Benefits. We believe that benefits should connect you to the support you need when it matters most, and should help you care for those who matter most. That’s why we provide an array of options, expert guidance and always-on tools, that are personalized to meet the needs of your reality – to help support you physically, financially and emotionally through the big milestones and in your everyday life. Please visit the [Register to View] on our careers site for more details.