CommTech 4, Network Maintenance
Comcast brings together the best in media and technology. We drive innovation to create the world's best entertainment and online experiences. As a Fortune 50 leader, we set the pace in a variety of innovative and fascinating businesses and create career opportunities across a wide range of locations and disciplines. We are at the forefront of change and move at an amazing pace, thanks to our remarkable people, who bring cutting-edge products and services to life for millions of customers every day. If you share in our passion for teamwork, our vision to revolutionize industries and our goal to lead the future in media and technology, we want you to fast-forward your career at Comcast.
Job SummarySeeking candidates that have a minimum fifteen months cable telecommunications (and/or broadband) or similar experience. Candidates that have: knowledge of cable television products and services, basic knowledge of cable system operations, basic knowledge of a cable system overview, and basic knowledge of the history of cable and Comcast. Responsible for performing routine troubleshooting calls, surveys, locates, outage repair, on-call duty, shift work, track/repair CLI, power supply maintenance and construction maintenance in accordance with Comcast procedures and practices. Will be called upon to troubleshoot and resolve service failures related to any Comcast products, to include but not be limited to Video (analog and digital,) Comcast Digital Voice (CDV,) and Comcast High Speed Data (CHSI) (including Home Networking and Home Plug.)
- Performs routine troubleshooting calls: troubleshoots the plant through the distribution cable to the node to restore customer video, CHSI, or CDV. Must climb poles, ladders and operate aerial lifts 18 to 20 feet above ground, as determined by the system's requirements. Will use basic cable test equipment. Performs work near power lines and electricity.
- Surveys the plant to ensure service availability to potential customers.
- Performs underground location of existing plant using system prints and cable locating equipment to prevent cable damage and service interruption. Will read general system layouts from blueprints.
- Responds to and repairs service interruptions during regular business hours, and as needed do shift work and "On-call". Normal work shift includes evenings and/or weekends; may include 10-hour days for 4 days a week. Must be available to work overtime including weekends, evenings, and holidays.
- Performs CLI ride-out and track and repair leakage. Works and travels in inclement weather.
- Performs construction maintenance duties such as: splices aerial/underground coaxial cable and equipment to restore cable plant to system specification; splices, and activates new coaxial plant; repairs and/or replace damaged aerial/underground plant; and inspects, repairs, and/or replaces power supplies. Must use basic cable installation tools and hand tools. Must follow safety procedures and requirements. Lifts and carries loads of 70 lbs. or more.
- During the course of normal day-to-day activities: cleans, maintains, and stocks vehicle, and equipment to be prepared for daily responsibilities; completes associated paperwork with each job in a timely manner; accurately operate and maintain tools and equipment; reports need for vehicle repair or service when required and/or prescribed; and reports any accidents, losses, injuries, or property damage to supervisor and customer when appropriate. Drives company vehicle in a safe and responsible manner.
- Reviews all requested services with the customer in order to ensure understanding and agreement; survey the installation route, and review proposed route with the customer to acquire agreement on the location of cable outlet(s). Exposure to dogs and other animals, construction areas, and the public in general.
- Pre-wires single dwelling units and multiple dwelling units (MDUs) to provide "ready hook-up" capabilities at the time of occupancy. Works in crawl spaces, attics, and permit required confined spaces. Exposure to moderate noise level.
- Performs multi-product reconnects, requested and non-pay disconnects, and additional outlets for residential and residential-like products. Installs and removes set-top box and/or eMTA in order to provide customer with upgrades or downgrades in service. Must possess knowledge of basic mathematics, the ability to count and handle U.S. currency, and the ability to connect with customers in a clear and straight forward manner.
- Performs multi-product service calls for residential and residential like products. Troubleshoots the forward and return path in the drop from the tap to the customer's equipment for multiple services. Will use skills in organization and prioritization.
- When needed, performs wall fish by the market (optional not included in national certification). Performs multi-product installations for residential and residential-like products, complete from tap to customer equipment in single and multiple family dwellings including prewired units; perform installations adhering to Comcast procedures and safe work practices, NEC and NESC requirements and local ordinances in order to provide services to the customer. Installations could include but not be limited to the following: Video (analog and digital; home theater); Comcast Digital Voice® (CDV) and/or other Voice services; Comcast High-Speed Data (CHSI) (Home Networking, and Home Plug); Teleworker; Comcast Workplace (Internet)f. Workplace Digital Voice (WDV) standard; Commercial Video. Manipulates connectors, fasteners, wire; use hand tools. Must have vision ability of: close vision, peripheral vision, ability to adjust focus, and differentiate colors.
- Possesses knowledge of the National Electrical Code (NEC) the National Electrical Safety Code (NESC) the Occupational Safety and Health Act (OSHA) Federal Communications Commission (FCC) Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) Department of Transportation (DOT) American National Standards Institute (ANSI), and various state and local codes including G.O. 95 and G.O. 128, (when applicable).
- Inspects existing bond/ground to ensure compliance with Comcast and National Electrical Code (NEC) requirements; when needed make new ground in order to protect employees, customers, and equipment from electrical shock or damage.
- Checks in each job quickly to ensure all details of the work are recorded for entry in the customer's account once the work is complete. Completes associated paperwork with each work order, when needed. Work while standing 50 70% of the time.
- Works within manufacturers rated weight capacity for all equipment, including but not limited to ladders and aerial lifts.
- Determines acceptability of video, data, and voice services by reviewing television picture quality and PC and modem connection following any installation or work on cable services to provide the best possible service for the customer. Educates the customer on the CDV service and voice mail. Conduct CDV test call. Demonstrates CHSI service and educate customer on how to connect to the service, home page, national and local content, and web browsing using URL(s,) etc. Must possess the ability to manipulate objects such as pens, keyboard and mouse.
- Provides the customer with the Comcast Welcome Kit and materials regarding channel line up, use of set-top box, modem and/or eMTA, and company policies as they relate to the customer as well as demonstrate these skills in order to educate the customer on the use of the equipment, products and services, and company guidelines.
- Provides information on available services to new and existing customers in order to sell additional services and attempt to upgrade existing services.
- Performs standard home theater installations associated with video installations. Must have knowledge of policies and procedures for installation activities.
- Must have knowledge of components on the PC desktop and ability to perform the following: launch an application; add a shortcut; log into and navigate through a dial-up or other internet service; install software like Microsoft Internet Explorer, Netscape Communicator, Microsoft Windows, MS Office applications, educational software or games; navigate through a file system via the DOS prompt or window interface; access the Control Panel to configure components such as a printer, modem and monitor.
- Must possess knowledge of PC hardware, software and the Internet and the ability to troubleshoot and resolve related service failures.
- Required Training/Licenses/Certifications: Certified CommTech 4; Valid drivers license and satisfactory driving record. Will optimally complete training and instruction that includes, but not be limited to, the following topics (training should reflect the Network CommTech 4 Proficiencies document): Cable Theory and Terms, Construction Practices, Troubleshooting to Node and Return Path, Track and Repairs CLI, Power Supply Maintenance, Forward and Reverse Alignment and Safety Program.
- Applies knowledge and skills of training on the job to prepare for promotion to the next level.
- Regular, consistent and punctual attendance. Work nights and weekends, variable schedule(s), and overtime.
- Other duties and responsibilities as assigned.
Employees at all levels are encouraged to:
- Understand our Operating Principles; make them the guidelines for how you do your job.
- Own the customer experience - think and act in ways that put our customers first, give them flawless digital options at every touchpoint, and make them promoters of our products and services.
- Know your stuff - be hardworking learners, users and advocates of our progressive technology, products and services, especially our digital tools and experiences.
- Win as a team - make big things happen by working together and being open to new ideas.
- Be an active part of the Net Promoter System - a way of working that brings more employee and customer feedback into the company - by joining huddles, making call backs and helping us elevate opportunities to do better for our customers.
- Get results and growth.
and promote inclusion & diversity.
- Do what's right for each other, our customers, investors and our communities.
- This information has been crafted to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by employees in this role. It is not crafted to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities and qualifications.
Comcast is an EOE/Veterans/Disabled/LGBT employer.
Comcast is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace. We will consider all qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran status, or any other basis protected by applicable law.
High School Diploma / GED
Relevant Work Experience
Base pay is one part of the Total Rewards that Comcast provides to compensate and recognize employees for their work. Most sales positions are eligible for a Commission under the terms of an applicable plan, while most non-sales positions are eligible for a Bonus. Additionally, Comcast provides best-in-class Benefits. We believe that benefits should connect you to the support you need when it matters most, and should help you care for those who matter most. That’s why we provide an array of options, expert guidance and always-on tools, that are personalized to meet the needs of your reality – to help support you physically, financially and emotionally through the big milestones and in your everyday life. Please visit the [Register to View] on our careers site for more details.