Senior Principal Engineer - Service Mesh/ API-lifecycle management
Comcast’s Technology, Product & Experience organization works at the intersection of media and technology. Our innovative teams are continually developing and delivering products that transform the customer experience. From creating apps like TVGo to new features such as the Talking Guide on the X1 platform, we work every day to make a positive impact through innovation in the pursuit of building amazing products that are enjoyable, easy to use and accessible across all platforms. The team also develops and supports our evolving network architecture, including next-generation consumer systems and technologies, infrastructure and engineering, network integration and management tools, and technical standards. Because our employees are our most valuable asset, we offer a flexible working environment to balance the need to work independently wherever you choose, with days that require collaboration at one of our offices. Our roles primarily reside inside or around one of our Tech Hubs (Philadelphia and surrounding suburbs, Denver, Austin, Silicon Valley, Washington DC/N. Virginia).
Job SummaryComcast shapes the future at the intersection of media and technology. Comcast provides a one-of-a-kind entertainment platform (X1), High Speed Data platform, and Internet of Things services (Connected & Smart Home). We create world-class experiences that people love and trust and drive innovation that builds value. We bring millions TV and entertainment, sports and news, communications and home management, theme parks, home security, Voice, and high-speed Internet access. Comcast’s DevX organization is seeking a Senior Principal Engineer to join our DevX: Run team. This group is responsible for developing tools and platforms that are used by engineering teams across CXT to enhance customer experiences of our xFi (broadband), Entertainment, AI and Xfinity Home Security product offerings. We are a team of engineers that both build and support high-availability platforms for use by Comcast engineering and product teams. Some of our platforms include experimentation and feature flagging, Chaos Engineering SaaS platform, a multiplatform API Gateway for ingress management with complementing multi-datacenter service mesh, and a log ingest transformation and routing platform. We are looking for a leader who will work on our Service-Mesh strategy. As a Senior Principal Software Engineer, you will be a leader, a contributor, and enjoy working on cutting edge technology stacks that positively impact the daily lives of millions of Comcast customers! As a Senior Principal Software Engineer, you will be a leader, a contributor, and enjoy working on cutting edge technology stacks that positively impact the daily lives of millions of Comcast customers!
- Holds advances industry technical knowledge, can innovate, and evaluate at a senior level; thinks strategically across one or more technologies.
- Functions as a thought leader, driving solutions through their own and other teams
- Has a demonstrated track record on in-depth technical exposure and successful project delivery including capability to establish and lead all details of architecture.
- Has a significant operational impact on their own immediate team mentoring others, leading projects, and functioning as the technical voice of the team, as well as a strong collaboration outside of their team with other groups.
- Driving issues to closure: engaging all appropriate resources, leading technical bridges, and providing troubleshooting direction. Functioning with great autonomy and independently providing guidance and recommended solutions to complex technical issues within and outside the team.
- Always looking for operational bottlenecks in the workflow and applying engineering practices to eliminate or reduce the bottlenecks with automation or process improvements
- Keeps current on innovative technology and educates others on it; can explain complex subjects to a variety of audience as a multi-domain expert.
- Take proactive initiative on all projects with a strong sense of ownership; emulates curiosity and innovation, instills trust in others.
- Experience with leading a team from design to inception to support.
- Ability to comfortably work in a fast-paced agile environment. Requirements change quickly and our team needs to constantly adapt to moving targets.
- At least two years application development experience with Go and React.
- Solid scripting & development language (e.g., bash, Python, etc.)
- Experience with automation software using Ansible, HashiCorp stack and Python and understanding of how to scale applications depending on load
- Experience with monitoring systems (e.g. Grafana/InfluxDB, Nagios, Datadog, CloudWatch, New Relic etc.)
- Experience building tools for automation (building, testing, releasing, monitoring and alarming)
- Experience with IaaS and PaaS providers such as AWS, OpenStack, VMWare etc.
- Proficient in Linux command Line, system Administration and good hands-on installing software on Linux platforms
- Understanding of containers technologies like Docker & Kubernetes. Hands-on experience with building and running containers on Container Management Platforms.
- Some networking knowledge (OSI network layers, TCP/IP, Firewalls, traffic shaping, and load balancing)
- Familiarity with continuous integration/deployment processes and tools such as Jenkins, Concourse etc.
- Experience with deploying and operating infrastructure running micro services-based platforms and understanding of cloud deployment methodologies such as immutable deployments, auto scaling, monitoring of instances that come and go
Employees at all levels are expected to:
- Understand our Operating Principles; make them the guidelines for how you do your job.
- Lead the customer experience - think and act in ways that put our customers first, give them seamless digital options at every touchpoint, and make them promoters of our products and services.
- Know your stuff - be hardworking learners, users a,nd advocates of our groundbreaking technology, products and services, especially our digital tools and experiences.
- Win as a team - make big things happen by working together and being open to new insights.
- Be an active part of the Net Promoter system of working that brings more employee and customer feedback into the company - by joining huddles, making callbacks, and helping us elevate opportunities to do better for our customers.
- Drive results and growth.
- Respect and promote inclusion & diversity.
- Do what's right for each other, our customers, investors a,nd our communities.
LOCATION: This role can be located in any of our three core locations: Philadelphia, PA, Denver, CO or Reston, VA with some flexibility to work virtually from within the continental US.
- This information has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by employees in this role. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities and qualifications.
Comcast is an EOE/Veterans/Disabled/LGBT employer.
Comcast is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace. We will consider all qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran status, or any other basis protected by applicable law.
While possessing the stated degree is preferred, Comcast also may consider applicants who hold some combination of coursework and experience, or who have extensive related professional experience.
Relevant Work Experience
15 Years +
Pay Range: This job can be performed in Denver Campus, with a Pay Range of $164,659.31 USD - $246,988.97 USD
Comcast intends to offer the selected candidate base pay within this range, dependent on job-related, non-discriminatory factors such as experience.
Base pay is one part of the Total Rewards that Comcast provides to compensate and recognize employees for their work. Most sales positions are eligible for a Commission under the terms of an applicable plan, while most non-sales positions are eligible for a Bonus. Additionally, Comcast provides best-in-class Benefits. We believe that benefits should connect you to the support you need when it matters most, and should help you care for those who matter most. That’s why we provide an array of options, expert guidance and always-on tools, that are personalized to meet the needs of your reality – to help support you physically, financially and emotionally through the big milestones and in your everyday life. Please visit the [Register to View] on our careers site for more details.