Principal Data Scientist
What you'll do...
The Principal Data Scientist of Data Science team will lead AI discovery, research, algorithmic solution design, and rapid prototyping targeted to deliver important activations within Sam's Club division of Walmart Inc. This role will be focused on building the underlying ML/AI models to power a personalized and delightful member experience across our eCommerce, Scan & Go along with in-club shopping experiences. In this role, you will be responsible E-E implementation of Machine learning products across Personalization and Search. You will lead a scrum team and partner with a highly talented team of Product Managers and Technologists to productionalize ML/AI solutions at scale. This is an exciting opportunity to combine Retail domain knowledge with machine learning algorithms to disrupt conventional business processes to achieve aggressive growth targets. In this role, you will work with a dynamic cohort of high caliber individuals across Search, Personalization, Conversational AI to lead exciting and transformative change in our business. The role is located in Dallas, Texas and reports to the Director of Data Science - Omnichannel & Security
Sam's Club is our membership warehouse club, a business model that provides our members with high-quality products at prices that are unrivaled by traditional retail. Sam's Club provides a carefully curated assortment of items, as well as developing and leading technologies and services such as Scan & Go, Club Pickup, and home delivery service in select markets. Sam's Club also provides travel, auto purchasing, pharmacy, optical, hearing aid centers, tire and battery centers, and a portfolio of business operations support services.
What you'll do:
- Apply broad knowledge of ML/AI capabilities to identify growth areas, new and emerging opportunities. Conducts research by studying organization goals, strategies, practices, and user projects. Recommends strategies by evaluating organization outcomes; identifying problems; evaluating trends; anticipating requirements.
- Lead a team of Data Scientists and Engineers focused on powering AI/ML solutions within the space of Personalization and Search.
- Partner closely with Product and engineering leaders to inform, drive and accelerate innovations in discovery experiences via Insights, frameworks, causal inference solutions and machine learning prototypes
- Execute full life cycle of projects through project planning, data collection, model prototyping and deployment, with responsibilities encompassing stakeholder management and communication to cross-functional partners.
- Build MLOps framework to create, build and deploy data science algorithms continuously test and personalize user experience
- Shares highly complex information related to areas of expertise. Interacts with senior management to keep abreast of objectives. Interacts with peers to interpret information and improve cross-functional processes and programs. Builds and enhances key internal and external contacts.
What you'll bring:
- Experience in the development of large-scale production systems, Knowledge of Search, information retrieval and ranking systems
- 6 years+ of experience in applied machine learning, familiar with one or more of the algorithms such as Collaborative Filtering, Matrix Factorization, Factorization Machines, Word2vec, Deep Neural Networks, Wide and Deep etc
- Skilled in Programming language (Python, Java, R or Scala) and Large-scale training using data structures and algorithms
- Extensive experience with machine learning and deep learning packages (scikit-learn, lightGBM, Tensorflow or PyTorch).
- Experience with cloud environments including Azure, Google Cloud, etc.
- Solid MLOps practices including good design documentation, unit testing, integration testing and source code control (git).
- Experienced with agile methodologies using project planning and tracking management tools e.g., JIRA
- Naturally curious on how things work and excited by solving challenges at the scale of a Fortune 1 Retailer.
About Walmart Global Tech
Imagine working in an environment where one line of code can make life easier for hundreds of millions of people and put a smile on their face. That's what we do at Walmart Global Tech. We're a team of 15,000+ software engineers, data scientists and service professionals within Walmart, the world's largest retailer, delivering innovations that improve how our customers shop and empower our 2.3 million associates. To others, innovation looks like an app, service, or some code, but Walmart has always been about people. People are why we innovate, and people power our innovations. Being human-led is our true disruption. We train our team in the skillsets of the future and bring in experts like you to help us grow. We have roles for those chasing their first opportunity as well as those looking for the opportunity that will define their career. Here, you can kickstart a great career in tech, gain new skills and experience for virtually every industry, or leverage your expertise to innovate at scale, impact millions and reimagine the future of retail.
Flexible, hybrid work
We use a hybrid way of working that is primarily virtual, while remaining near the locations Global Tech calls home. This approach helps us make quicker decisions, remove location barriers across our global team, be more flexible in our personal lives and spend less time commuting. Of course, being together in person is an important part of our culture and shared success. We use our campuses to collaborate and be together in person, as business needs require and for development and networking opportunities.
Beyond our great compensation package, you can receive incentive awards for your performance. Other great perks include 401(k) match, stock purchase plan, paid maternity and parental leave, PTO, multiple health plans, and much more.
Equal Opportunity Employer:
Walmart, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer - By Choice. We believe we are best equipped to help our associates, customers and the communities we serve live better when we really know them. That means understanding, respecting and valuing diversity- unique styles, experiences, identities, ideas and opinions - while being inclusive of all people.
The above information has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed in the role. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all responsibilities and qualifications required of employees assigned to this job. The full Job Description can be made available as part of the hiring process.
Outlined below are the required minimum qualifications for this position. If none are listed, there are no minimum qualifications.
Option 1: Bachelors degree in Statistics, Economics, Analytics, Mathematics, Computer Science, Information Technology or related field and 5 years' experience in an analytics related field. Option 2: Masters degree in Statistics, Economics, Analytics, Mathematics, Computer Science, Information Technology or related field and 3 years' experience in an analytics related field. Option 3: 7 years' experience in an analytics or related field
Outlined below are the optional preferred qualifications for this position. If none are listed, there are no preferred qualifications.
Data science, machine learning, optimization models, PhD in Machine Learning, Computer Science, Information Technology, Operations Research, Statistics, Applied Mathematics, Econometrics, Publications or active peer reviewer in related journals or conference, Successful completion of one or more assessments in Python, Spark, Scala, or R, Using open source frameworks (for example, scikit learn, tensorflow, torch)
603 MUNGER AVE STE 400, DALLAS, TX 75202, United States of America